GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help identifying these 3 plants/weeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/203124-help-identifying-these-3-plants-weeds.html)

tomo359 16-04-2012 02:57 PM

Help identifying these 3 plants/weeds

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, I am trying to identify these three different plants/weeds. They are all found in a large grassy verge near where I work.
I am trying to find out if any are suitable for reptiles, so I need to know what these plants are so I can find out.
Thank you.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 16-04-2012 11:14 PM

Help identifying these 3 plants/weeds

In message , tomo359
writes

Hi, I am trying to identify these three different plants/weeds. They
are
all found in a large grassy verge near where I work.
I am trying to find out if any are suitable for reptiles, so I need to
know what these plants are so I can find out.
Thank you.

Assuming that the plants are growing wild in Britain ...

|Filename: 2012-04-15 15.50.24.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14916|

Probably Ranunculus acris (field buttercup); a few Geraniums can look
similar in leaf. Buttercups are toxic.

|Filename: 2012-04-15 15.50.46.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14917|

Plantago lanceolata (ribwort plantain)

|Filename: 2012-04-15 15.54.13.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14918|

Alliaria petiolata (garlic mustard)

But if you want to feed them to reptiles you presumably want to be 110%
certain of identification, so you may wish to wait for them to flower.

--
tomo359

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

tomo359 17-04-2012 10:56 AM

Thank you for your reply. I am glad you said ribwort plantain for the second one as I worked it out to be that as well which is safe for many reptiles. I will still wait until I am completely certain as you said until I use any as feed.

Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley (Post 956240)
In message , tomo359
writes