GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   magnolia cutting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/203206-magnolia-cutting.html)

[email protected] 21-04-2012 08:06 PM

magnolia cutting

I bought a magnolia branch at a garden show, vendor said stick it in water and the buds will open. They didn't, but a green shoot has appeared at the base! there are white nodules at the bottom but no roots yet. Should I cut the top off? leave it in the water until I see roots?

I'm in Toronto so I guess this is a hardy magnolia. Assuming it is established, do I plant it out in the garden this year? how long before flowers appear? thanks!

David E. Ross[_2_] 22-04-2012 01:16 AM

magnolia cutting

On 4/21/12 12:06 PM, wrote:
I bought a magnolia branch at a garden show, vendor said stick it in
water and the buds will open. They didn't, but a green shoot has
appeared at the base! there are white nodules at the bottom but no
roots yet. Should I cut the top off? leave it in the water until I
see roots?

I'm in Toronto so I guess this is a hardy magnolia. Assuming it is
established, do I plant it out in the garden this year? how long
before flowers appear? thanks!

There are more than 200 species and varieties in the genus Magnolia,
with widely varying climate and soil requirements. Without knowing
which species of Magnolia you have, I cannot answer your question.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

songbird[_2_] 22-04-2012 04:06 AM

magnolia cutting

David E. Ross wrote:
On 4/21/12 12:06 PM, wrote:
I bought a magnolia branch at a garden show, vendor said stick it in
water and the buds will open. They didn't, but a green shoot has
appeared at the base! there are white nodules at the bottom but no
roots yet. Should I cut the top off? leave it in the water until I
see roots?

I'm in Toronto so I guess this is a hardy magnolia. Assuming it is
established, do I plant it out in the garden this year? how long
before flowers appear? thanks!

There are more than 200 species and varieties in the genus Magnolia,
with widely varying climate and soil requirements. Without knowing
which species of Magnolia you have, I cannot answer your question.

be that as it may...

i still would not cut the top off the piece of wood
that is rooting.

give it more time to put out new growth and make
sure that has a dozen or so leaves before pruning the
dead wood away. it is easy to break off new shoots
by accident when pruning.

songbird