Old 22-04-2012, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Catskill Spring

I get tired of everyone using this only for a dumping ground for their
gardening problems, sometimes it would be nice to see posts of
achievement. My gardening is doing fabulously this spring.
I'm planning something crabapple in my future, but while I'm waiting I
can enjoy the view:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hwk4l2.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/4qsqro.jpg
Pears are nice too:
http://i43.tinypic.com/o3ds4.jpg
Got all my mowing done yesterday, just in time before the rains came,
those guys don't ca
http://i39.tinypic.com/e7jldv.jpg
The end:
http://i44.tinypic.com/azb13k.jpg
Old 23-04-2012, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
I get tired of everyone using this only for a dumping ground for their
gardening problems, sometimes it would be nice to see posts of
achievement. My gardening is doing fabulously this spring.
I'm planning something crabapple in my future, but while I'm waiting I
can enjoy the view:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hwk4l2.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/4qsqro.jpg
Pears are nice too:
http://i43.tinypic.com/o3ds4.jpg
Got all my mowing done yesterday, just in time before the rains came,
those guys don't ca
http://i39.tinypic.com/e7jldv.jpg
The end:
http://i44.tinypic.com/azb13k.jpg

Loverly blossom. Do they fruit or are they just ornamental?

Old 23-04-2012, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 22, 6:02*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
I get tired of everyone using this only for a dumping ground for their
gardening problems, sometimes it would be nice to see posts of
achievement. *My gardening is doing fabulously this spring.
I'm planning something crabapple in my future, but while I'm waiting I
can enjoy the view:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hwk4l2.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/4qsqro.jpg
Pears are nice too:
http://i43.tinypic.com/o3ds4.jpg
Got all my mowing done yesterday, just in time before the rains came,
those guys don't ca
http://i39.tinypic.com/e7jldv.jpg
The end:
http://i44.tinypic.com/azb13k.jpg

Loverly blossom. *Do they fruit or are they just ornamental?

OK, I'll make small positive report: My adorable baby spinach is
about ready for me to pick outer leaves for salad.* Ditto my lettuce,
multi-colored, planted too close together, begging me to thin and
use. My green onions are VERY slow to emerge, but showing a little.
My carrots didn't germinate, so gotta start over. About to put in
corn. A few melons from last year showed up, uninvited but welcome.

* does this work for spinach as it does for lettuce?

HB

Old 23-04-2012, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
I get tired of everyone using this only for a dumping ground for their
gardening problems, sometimes it would be nice to see posts of
achievement. My gardening is doing fabulously this spring.
I'm planning something crabapple in my future, but while I'm waiting I
can enjoy the view:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hwk4l2.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/4qsqro.jpg
Pears are nice too:
http://i43.tinypic.com/o3ds4.jpg
Got all my mowing done yesterday, just in time before the rains came,
those guys don't ca
http://i39.tinypic.com/e7jldv.jpg
The end:
http://i44.tinypic.com/azb13k.jpg

Loverly blossom. Do they fruit or are they just ornamental?

All crabapples fruit, some larger more edible fruit than others.
That crabapple is malus "cardinal", will have deep purple foliage and
medium sized fruit. I've tried eating its fruit but it's much too
tart, the birds eat it. I bought those trees mainly for their
blossoms and open growth habit. The pear is ornamental; Redspire...
again the fruit is small, birds eat it. Being near the road those
trees stop traffic better than a stop sign.