Old 04-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Sundar Narasimhan

Default how to deal w/ grubs?

I have been averse to putting too many chemicals on our lawn, but on a
sloping area I found a patch of grass that peeled away like carpet.. w/
several grubs underneath.. I've dug up the area and reseeded, but am
wondering if they've spread to other areas of the lawn.

What's the best way to get rid of the grubs?

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Phisherman

On Sat, 03 May 2003 22:41:35 GMT, Sundar Narasimhan
wrote:

I have been averse to putting too many chemicals on our lawn, but on a
sloping area I found a patch of grass that peeled away like carpet.. w/
several grubs underneath.. I've dug up the area and reseeded, but am
wondering if they've spread to other areas of the lawn.

What's the best way to get rid of the grubs?

Thanks.

There are many lawn grub products available. Timing is critical.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Vox Humana

"Sundar Narasimhan" wrote in message
I have been averse to putting too many chemicals on our lawn, but on a
sloping area I found a patch of grass that peeled away like carpet.. w/
several grubs underneath.. I've dug up the area and reseeded, but am
wondering if they've spread to other areas of the lawn.

What's the best way to get rid of the grubs?

It is quite unlikely that you only have grubs in an isolated area of your
lawn. Lawns can generally have a certain number of grubs per square foot
without any noticeable damage. As has been mentioned, timing is critical in
the treatment of grubs. You should find your state's cooperative extension
agency ( http://www.sunnyboygardens.com/herb-.../extension.htm ).
You will probably be able to find lawn and garden information that is
specific to your location. There is a biological control for grubs called
Milky Spore. It isn't an instant cure and is not proven effective in all
locations.

Old 05-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Sundar Narasimhan

montana wrote:

I have just been going through previous conversations about grubs in
this group via a Google Advanced Group search and am learning a couple
of things about it. I still have to do more reading, but there's a lot
of discussion to catch up on.

I know we have to be careful about chemicals, so there are a few options
that we need to learn more about. And evidently actually watering the
lawn last year would have helped...

How? (Just curious,)

Old 05-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Sundar Narasimhan

Vox Humana wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for posting to help. I ran across..
http://www.umassturf.org/mangement_u...e/03jan08.html
(I live in MA), and it points out products, but I'd like to know about
timing. I used the charts/diagrams in that site to identify the grub --
I think it's asiatic beetle (but it was hard to tell because the anal
slit was so small and I didn't have a magnifying glass handy .

I was wondering if I should treat w/ fast acting (to get rid of the
grubs that are there now) and then also treat w/ the slow acting in
june/july as people seem to suggest (to take care of next season)?

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Zemedelec

If they're big ones and nonpoisonous, roll'em in fine crumbs and deep-fry.
Should taste like shrimp (no guarantee.)
zemedelec

[IMG] code is On

How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 08:02 AM
grubs, moles, and now dogs.. how to deal w/ lawn's circle of life Sundar Narasimhan Gardening 5 17-05-2003 01:56 AM
grubs, moles, and now dogs.. how to deal w/ lawn's circle of Sundar Narasimhan Gardening 0 16-05-2003 02:44 PM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 05:56 AM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:34 AM