Old 25-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered User

Default how much ground space for climbing plant?

hi everyone. this is my first post on this forum.

i am getting my garden done up at the moment and am going to have a climbing plant grow up the rear fence. what is the mininum length of soil i need away from the fence for the plant?

please see attacked drawing to get better understand of my situation.
Attached Thumbnails
how much ground space for climbing plant?-question-garden-soil-climb-plant.png
Old 25-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuezed View Post
hi everyone. this is my first post on this forum.

i am getting my garden done up at the moment and am going to have a climbing plant grow up the rear fence. what is the mininum length of soil i need away from the fence for the plant?

please see attacked drawing to get better understand of my situation.
sorry please see attached drawing
Old 25-04-2012, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/25/12 9:59 AM, cuezed wrote:
hi everyone. this is my first post on this forum.

i am getting my garden done up at the moment and am going to have a
climbing plant grow up the rear fence. what is the mininum length of
soil i need away from the fence for the plant?

please see attacked drawing to get better understand of my situation.

|Filename: question garden soil for climb plant.png |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14945|

That depends on the variety of plant, the orientation (e.g., north side
of the fence), and exposure (e.g., part shade). Some climbers require a
significant root zone; others do not. On the south side of a fence in
full sun, you might have to leave more space between the base of the
plant and the fence so that air can circulate in the heat of the day and
thus prevent the plant from cooking. On the other hand, a subtropical
vine on the south side in full sun might need to be very close to the
fence to receive re-radiated heat in the winter to prevent frost damage.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 26-04-2012, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 25, 12:59*pm, cuezed wrote:
hi everyone. this is my first post on this forum.

i am getting my garden done up at the moment and am going to have a
climbing plant grow up the rear fence. what is the mininum length of
soil i need away from the fence for the plant?

please see attacked drawing to get better understand of my situation.

|Filename: question garden soil for climb plant.png * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14945|

cuezed

Yes I would say that make sure it gets plenty of water and that it is
facing sun so that it can grow.
Old 26-04-2012, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Go_Internet_Siddiq wrote:
On Apr 25, 12:59 pm, cuezed wrote:
hi everyone. this is my first post on this forum.

i am getting my garden done up at the moment and am going to have a
climbing plant grow up the rear fence. what is the mininum length of
soil i need away from the fence for the plant?

please see attacked drawing to get better understand of my situation.

Filename: question garden soil for climb plant.png |
Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14945|

cuezed

Yes I would say that make sure it gets plenty of water and that it is
facing sun so that it can grow.

Why would you say that?

David