Old 26-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered User

Default Setting up as a Gardener: Advice needed please

Hi

I've recently been made redundant am considering a career change and building up a residential gardening round locally.

I've designed some flyers and now need to buy some equipment. I want to buy a compact self propelling petrol lawnmower, but my issue is storage. I have a hard top convertible (part of the manopause) and although it has a big boot, I think I'm going to need a towbar and trailer (2nd hand)

At some stage I'll consider getting a cheap van, but will only do this once the business is up and running and I realise this could take time

My budget for initial outlay of all equipment, including a trailer if neccessary is approx £2K so can anyone advise on the best type of mower, strimmer, hedge cutters etc and particularly trailer?

Many thanks in advance
Old 26-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Registered User

[quote=Collis;957092]Hi

I beleive you should get rid of your car and buy a pickup if you want to be taken seriously and work for someone first before striking out on your own so you can get the low down. Trust me a business is more then buying equipment.
Old 26-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collis View Post
Hi

I've recently been made redundant am considering a career change and building up a residential gardening round locally.

I've designed some flyers and now need to buy some equipment. I want to buy a compact self propelling petrol lawnmower, but my issue is storage. I have a hard top convertible (part of the manopause) and although it has a big boot, I think I'm going to need a towbar and trailer (2nd hand)

At some stage I'll consider getting a cheap van, but will only do this once the business is up and running and I realise this could take time

My budget for initial outlay of all equipment, including a trailer if neccessary is approx £2K so can anyone advise on the best type of mower, strimmer, hedge cutters etc and particularly trailer?

Many thanks in advance
Hi Collis, I applaude your intentions, so I'd like to add my thoughts. Firstly, where are you ?? do you live in a town or the countryside ?? How much do you know about pruning ? Could you weed a herbacous border removing only the weeds ?? I'll be honest, in my experience, most jobbing gardeners have very little horticultural knowledge but do a fine job ! All that most of the jobs require is an honest work ethic coupled with common sense. Experience will come with time but be prepared to learn !!
Personally I'd disagree with getting a pick-up, unless you have somewhere secure or are prepared to unload everything every night and put it away !!!
Get a small cheap van, then you can leave everything securely inside overnight.
Initially all you will need is a good petrol rotary mover with grass collection box. I wouldnt get too much machinery at first as you can always go off and hire them, once youve built your round and are settled, then you can think about investing in machinery.
Buy a good strong wheel barrow, shovel, spade (get a blacksmith to weld you a scaffold pole handle for strength) border fork and digging spade, fish tail rake and garden rake and a top quality yard broom. Buy some good quality secateurs, loppers and a bow saw and thats about it, add to it as needed.
best of luck with your venture, Lannerman.

ps. I could write you a book about how to start off but all I'll add is that, as you know, you'll get out of this in the exact same proportion as the effort put in !!!