Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Registered User

Smile Japanese Knotweed

Guys
Hoping you can help here as regards the effective cure and removal of the said knotweed, its been confirmed as knotweed and as we live in a local authority owned and leased property (in Scotland) we are led to beleive that it is infact their duty to effectively and safely (under strict guidelines remove and replace said offending plants) were getting conflicting information and wondered if you might be able to assist.

Any ideas, links to reliable sources of fact etc greatly appriciated.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese Knotweed

On 5/3/12 6:15 PM, Morarview wrote:
Guys
Hoping you can help here as regards the effective cure and removal of
the said knotweed, its been confirmed as knotweed and as we live in a
local authority owned and leased property (in Scotland) we are led to
beleive that it is infact their duty to effectively and safely (under
strict guidelines remove and replace said offending plants) were getting
conflicting information and wondered if you might be able to assist.

Any ideas, links to reliable sources of fact etc greatly appriciated.

Is this Persicaria capitata as described at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persicaria_capitata? Or is this
Fallopia japonica as described at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_knotweed? (This illustrates why
botanical names are important in international discussions of plants.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , David E. Ross
writes
On 5/3/12 6:15 PM, Morarview wrote:
Guys
Hoping you can help here as regards the effective cure and removal of
the said knotweed, its been confirmed as knotweed and as we live in a
local authority owned and leased property (in Scotland) we are led to
beleive that it is infact their duty to effectively and safely (under
strict guidelines remove and replace said offending plants) were getting
conflicting information and wondered if you might be able to assist.

Any ideas, links to reliable sources of fact etc greatly appriciated.

Is this Persicaria capitata as described at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persicaria_capitata? Or is this
Fallopia japonica as described at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_knotweed? (This illustrates why
botanical names are important in international discussions of plants.)

Fallopia japonica

Persicaria capitata is unknown as a wild (or escaped) plant in Scotland,
and is not exactly common in England or Wales either. Fallopia japonica
on the other hand is an invasive and persistent weed.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 24-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morarview View Post
Guys
Hoping you can help here as regards the effective cure and removal of the said knotweed, its been confirmed as knotweed and as we live in a local authority owned and leased property (in Scotland) we are led to beleive that it is infact their duty to effectively and safely (under strict guidelines remove and replace said offending plants) were getting conflicting information and wondered if you might be able to assist.

Any ideas, links to reliable sources of fact etc greatly appriciated.
Unfortunately Japanese Knotweed isn't the type of weed which can be 'cured' by cutting it or pulling it out of the ground. It can grow up to 3m (some reports say as much as 5m) down into the ground. It can regrow from a piece the size of your fingernail and can remain dormant for up to 20 years.

This obviously leaves you with a slight problem as the law states that you cannot let it grow onto a neighbours land.

Your first option should be to contact the local authority and tell them about the problem - they may not even know about it. If you explain to them that it can seriously decrease a buildings value and in some cases mortgage providers won't lend on properties affected by it.

They should arrange for someone to come out and inspect it and when they realise the problem arrange for have it to be disposed off safely. After all, they wouldn't want their own property affected by it!
Old 25-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morarview View Post
Guys
Hoping you can help here as regards the effective cure and removal of the said knotweed, its been confirmed as knotweed and as we live in a local authority owned and leased property (in Scotland) we are led to beleive that it is infact their duty to effectively and safely (under strict guidelines remove and replace said offending plants) were getting conflicting information and wondered if you might be able to assist.

Any ideas, links to reliable sources of fact etc greatly appriciated.
Japanese Knotweed (Fallopia japonica, syn. Polygonum cuspidatum, Reynoutria japonica) is a large, herbaceous perennial plant, native to eastern Asia in Japan, China and Korea. In North America and Europe the species is very successful and has been classified as an invasive species in several countries.

A member of the family Polygonaceae, Japanese knotweed has hollow stems with distinct raised nodes that give it the appearance of bamboo, though it is not closely related. While stems may reach a maximum height of 3–4 m each growing season, it is typical to see much smaller plants in places where they sprout through cracks in the pavement or are repeatedly cut down. The leaves are broad oval with a truncated base, 7–14 cm long and 5–12 cm broad, with an entire margin. The flowers are small, cream or white, produced in erect racemes 6–15 cm long in late summer and early autumn.

Closely related species include giant knotweed (Fallopia sachalinensis, syn. Polygonum sachalinense) and Russian vine (Fallopia baldschuanica, syn. Polygonum aubertii, Polygonum baldschuanicum).
Other English names for Japanese knotweed include fleeceflower, Himalayan fleece vine, monkeyweed, Huzhang (Chinese: 虎杖; pinyin: Hǔzhàng, literally "tiger stick"), Hancock's curse, elephant ears, pea shooters, donkey rhubarb (although it is not a rhubarb), sally rhubarb, Japanese bamboo, American bamboo, and Mexican bamboo (though it is not a bamboo). There are also regional names, and it is sometimes confused with sorrel.
__________________
Fruit Trees

Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morarview View Post
Guys
Hoping you can help here as regards the effective cure and removal of the said knotweed, its been confirmed as knotweed and as we live in a local authority owned and leased property (in Scotland) we are led to beleive that it is infact their duty to effectively and safely (under strict guidelines remove and replace said offending plants) were getting conflicting information and wondered if you might be able to assist.

Any ideas, links to reliable sources of fact etc greatly appriciated.
I believe that, by law, you have to report this to your local council who will then take steps to eradicate this very invasive weed.

Mick

[IMG] code is On

japanese knotweed gntry Gardening 13 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Japanese bamboo knotweed Tim923 Plant Science 9 24-07-2004 10:50 AM
Japanese knotweed pics Tim923 Gardening 5 10-07-2004 12:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed (BBC1, Countryfile today) al Gardening 3 02-09-2003 01:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed Janice United Kingdom 1 19-07-2003 12:23 AM