Old 21-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered User

Default Urgent Help Please (Conifers)

Hi, please does anyone have any advice for me. My situation is this.. I was out when Gardeners came round to trim the row of Conifers in the front garden. Id asked them to cut the front part right back to the railing. They did that but also cut the tops down to the railing ! They have taken arounf 4ft off each 7ft Conifer. The whole trunks are exposed to the hot sun and of course the green is turning brown. I'm wondering if sheltering the exposed trunks (with weed material) from the direct sunlight for a short while will do good or not? I will be watering them every night. Please help, I've cared for them for 10 years nw and they have been great
Old 22-05-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 21 May 2012 19:21:28 +0000, Natura wrote:
Hi, please does anyone have any advice for me. My situation is this.. I
was out when Gardeners came round to trim the row of Conifers in the
front garden. Id asked them to cut the front part right back to the
railing. They did that but also cut the tops down to the railing ! They
have taken arounf 4ft off each 7ft Conifer. The whole trunks are exposed

What will probably happen is that the top remaining branches will
grow upwards and become a new leader. That's not a guarantee, because there
are a lot of conifer species, and some of them will just keep growing
sideways rather than forming a new false leader.

It does sound like the plants were poorly chosen for the site, and it might
just be time to yank them out and start over. I need to do that with
three big arborvitae here that the previous owners planted way too close to
the house -- there's just no way to keep them in size. And a couple of
years after that, I need to pull out some overgrown rhododendrons. By
planning my moves ahead of time, though, I can keep things from looking
like bare, new construction.

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/...s-pruning.aspx
http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edComm/pdf/bul/bul0644.pdf

[IMG] code is On

please help urgent lips Gardening 0 09-10-2008 07:50 PM
HELP! Urgent tomato help needed please! Fergal United Kingdom 2 08-05-2007 08:18 PM
Urgent honeysuckle help-scorched!! Need help today! hakakahn Gardening 4 16-06-2006 03:22 AM
PLEASE HELP. Sorry about the caps but this is urgent. Anthropy Ponds 37 22-02-2005 06:52 PM
conifers advice please helen About GardenBanter 1 12-12-2003 07:09 PM