Old 21-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered User

Location: From August Taiyuan, China
Default Gardening in China

Due to start work in industrial city near Beijing. Dry soil, air pollution and temperatures from -10C to 100C.... so what can I grow from seed over there??
Old 22-05-2012, 09:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 21/05/2012 23:18, Ted Mason wrote:
Due to start work in industrial city near Beijing. Dry soil, air
pollution and temperatures from -10C to 100C.... so what can I grow from
seed over there??

Temps from -10 to 100°C??!! Do you mean °F?

And you can grow anything from seed anywhere given the right conditions
for germination - it's what happens to the seedlings after that you need
to worry about.

I would hope that you get replies from those used to growing under such
conditions, usually experienced in central continental land masses
around 40° or so north or south of the equator. I guess you are looking
at plants suitable for growing in USA zones 5 or 6, or the
northern/semi-mountainous areas of southern European countries.

Not sure what the air pollution will do. What is it - mainly sulphur
dioxide? It may cause problems, but every cloud has a silver lining -
it will cut out a lot of fungal problems! In the UK, before the Clean
Air Act became law, it wasn't difficult to grow roses as the sulphur
dioxide made life very difficult for rust and mildew! But after the air
was cleaned up, the roses suffered.

--

Jeff
Old 22-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mason View Post
Due to start work in industrial city near Beijing. Dry soil, air pollution and temperatures from -10C to 100C.... so what can I grow from seed over there??
Well gardening in China is good thinking but not always.
In China some spots are where the population rate is very high so it leave a bad effect on gardening.
Old 22-05-2012, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, May 21, 2012 6:18:14 PM UTC-4, Ted Mason wrote:
Due to start work in industrial city near Beijing. Dry soil, air
pollution and temperatures from -10C to 100C.... so what can I grow from
seed over there??

--
Ted Mason

100C? What ever you grow - you won't have to boil it