Old 27-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered User

Location: Devon, UK
Default Advice on Lemon scented plants

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on a major garden redesign. I'm trying to create a sensory garden for my toddler and want to have lots I scented plants. As I love lemon I'd like to incorporate a range of lemon plants/herbs but I've never planted these before and wondered if anyone had any advice or experience. I would love a mix of larger bushy and smaller border type plants but I'm after the scent most importantly.

I live in Devon - I'm not sure if this has an impact climate wise.

Any comments gratefully received!

Thanks,

Gary
Old 27-05-2012, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/27/12 3:55 AM, gmb27 wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on a major garden redesign. I'm trying to
create a sensory garden for my toddler and want to have lots I scented
plants. As I love lemon I'd like to incorporate a range of lemon
plants/herbs but I've never planted these before and wondered if anyone
had any advice or experience. I would love a mix of larger bushy and
smaller border type plants but I'm after the scent most importantly.

I live in Devon - I'm not sure if this has an impact climate wise.

Any comments gratefully received!

Thanks,

Gary

There are a number of lemon-scented herbs, including mints, grasses, and
geraniums. (Be careful about mints; they can be agressively invasive.)
If you do not get snow in the winter, you might even try a dwarf lemon
tree; lemons are among the hardiest of citrus. (Limes are the least
hardy citrus.)

However, I am not familiar with your climate and cannot make any serious
recommendations.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 27-05-2012, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 27/05/2012 11:55, gmb27 wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on a major garden redesign. I'm trying to
create a sensory garden for my toddler and want to have lots I scented
plants. As I love lemon I'd like to incorporate a range of lemon
plants/herbs but I've never planted these before and wondered if anyone
had any advice or experience. I would love a mix of larger bushy and
smaller border type plants but I'm after the scent most importantly.

I live in Devon - I'm not sure if this has an impact climate wise.

Any comments gratefully received!

Thanks,

Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis)
Lemon Verbena (Aloysia triphylla or Aloysia ciriodora)

The first is hardy. The second should be hardy in Devon (provided you
aren't high up on one of the moors!).

Indoors, one of the lemon-scented pelargoniums would be a good choice.
Also try Lemon Grass (Cymbopogon). You can easily grow this by buying
some fresh stems in a supermarket, and putting them in shallow water,
where they will root after several weeks. Once rooted, pot them up, and
keep well-watered in a warm, sunny place.

--

Jeff
Old 28-05-2012, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
There are a number of lemon-scented herbs, including mints, grasses,
and geraniums. (Be careful about mints; they can be agressively
invasive.)

Plant mint in a 5 gallon pot with the bottom cut out. That'll drastically cut
down its tendancy to spread.

Old 28-05-2012, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bob F wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
There are a number of lemon-scented herbs, including mints, grasses,
and geraniums. (Be careful about mints; they can be agressively
invasive.)

Plant mint in a 5 gallon pot with the bottom cut out. That'll
drastically cut down its tendancy to spread.

I should have added - buried so only the top inch of the pot shows, so it looks
like planted in the ground.

Old 28-05-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

"gmb27" wrote in message

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on a major garden redesign. I'm trying to
create a sensory garden for my toddler and want to have lots I scented
plants. As I love lemon I'd like to incorporate a range of lemon
plants/herbs but I've never planted these before and wondered if anyone
had any advice or experience. I would love a mix of larger bushy and
smaller border type plants but I'm after the scent most importantly.

I live in Devon - I'm not sure if this has an impact climate wise.

Lemon Myrtle (Backhousia citriodora) - can be used in cooking too.

Old 28-05-2012, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_basil
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...063428114.html
Old 30-05-2012, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 27, 4:01*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
There are a number of lemon-scented herbs, including mints, grasses,
and geraniums. *(Be careful about mints; they can be agressively
invasive.)

Plant mint in a 5 gallon pot with the bottom cut out. That'll drastically cut
down its tendancy to spread.

NOW you tell me!!!

HB
Old 30-05-2012, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 30 May 2012 05:11:53 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On May 27, 4:01*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
There are a number of lemon-scented herbs, including mints, grasses,
and geraniums. *(Be careful about mints; they can be agressively
invasive.)

Plant mint in a 5 gallon pot with the bottom cut out. That'll drastically cut
down its tendancy to spread.

NOW you tell me!!!

HB

Clay chimney flues are longer length, last longer, and look much
nicer... available at any masonry supply.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
On May 27, 4:01*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
There are a number of lemon-scented herbs, including mints, grasses,
and geraniums. *(Be careful about mints; they can be agressively
invasive.)

Plant mint in a 5 gallon pot with the bottom cut out. That'll drastically cut
down its tendancy to spread.

NOW you tell me!!!

HB

Clay chimney flues are longer length, last longer, and look much
nicer... available at any masonry supply.

I actually have a bunch of clay sewer pipes, approx 18" tall? left
here years ago by a worker? I use them as decorative -- objets d'art
-- but I can see how they might work on invasive plants -- if sunk
deep enuff into the ground

HB

Old 01-06-2012, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
On May 27, 4:01*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
There are a number of lemon-scented herbs, including mints, grasses,
and geraniums. *(Be careful about mints; they can be agressively
invasive.)

Plant mint in a 5 gallon pot with the bottom cut out. That'll drastically cut
down its tendancy to spread.

NOW you tell me!!!

HB

Clay chimney flues are longer length, last longer, and look much
nicer... available at any masonry supply.

I actually have a bunch of clay sewer pipes, approx 18" tall? left
here years ago by a worker? I use them as decorative -- objets d'art
-- but I can see how they might work on invasive plants -- if sunk
deep enuff into the ground

HB

18" is 3"-4" taller than the typical contractor's bucket... clay flues
come in longer lengths too but I think 18" is plenty.