Old 01-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User

Default Strange (fungal?) growth on soil

Hi

For the last couple of years in the rockery there has been a strange growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight which I think is partly the problem. Does anyone:

a) Know what it is
b) Know how to get rid of it?! There are a number of established plants already growing so it would need to be without harming these.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advice

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Strange (fungal?) growth on soil-p5200021.jpg
Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

mat0120 wrote:
Hi

For the last couple of years in the rockery there has been a strange
growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to
come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight which I
think is partly the problem. Does anyone:

a) Know what it is

It isn't a fungus.

b) Know how to get rid of it?! There are a number of established
plants already growing so it would need to be without harming these.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advice

Matt

Filename: P5200021.JPG |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15032|

I would leave it alone. What is wrong with some green groundcover?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

mat0120 writes:

Hi

For the last couple of years in the rockery there has been a strange
growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to
come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight which I think
is partly the problem. Does anyone:

a) Know what it is
b) Know how to get rid of it?! There are a number of established plants
already growing so it would need to be without harming these.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advice

Matt

|Filename: P5200021.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15032|

Foliose lichen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen

Scroll down and look for a picture on the right.

I say, leave it alone. It's beautiful.

--
Dan Espen
Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 18:27:41 +0000, mat0120 wrote:

Hi

For the last couple of years in the rockery there has been a strange
growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to
come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight which I think
is partly the problem. Does anyone:

a) Know what it is
b) Know how to get rid of it?! There are a number of established plants
already growing so it would need to be without harming these.

Are you talking about the liverworts? Might as well leave them alone...
they're not going to harm anything. They're representatives of the first
line of green plants to diversify on dry land.
http://www.biology.duke.edu/bryology...Diversity.html
http://www.biology.duke.edu/bryology...servation.html

Chances of them displacing a well established seed plant that is actually
adapted to the growing conditions there is nil.

(Fungi are not photosynthetic!)

Kay

Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

"mat0120" wrote in message

Hi

For the last couple of years in the rockery there has been a strange
growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to
come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight which I think
is partly the problem. Does anyone:

a) Know what it is
b) Know how to get rid of it?! There are a number of established plants
already growing so it would need to be without harming these.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advice

Matt

|Filename: P5200021.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15032|

Very pretty whatever they are. In fact I'd be trying to keep them as they
remind me of the sort of vegetation that only grow on branches in places
where the air is especially cleanr.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 01/06/2012 19:27, mat0120 wrote:
Hi

For the last couple of years in the rockery there has been a strange
growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to
come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight which I think
is partly the problem. Does anyone:

a) Know what it is
b) Know how to get rid of it?! There are a number of established plants
already growing so it would need to be without harming these.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advice

Matt

|Filename: P5200021.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15032|

As others have pointed out it's a liverwort. They aren't harmful, but
do form a very dense hard mat - particularly in damp, shady conditions.
The main problem is that if the mat is complete, then self-seeding of
any of the rockery plants will not take place as the seeds will not be
able to get through the mat. Also, it is quite possible that the mat
will prevent shoots pushing up from underneath.

Finally, although it's a bit theoretical, the fact that it is growing on
a rockery isn't good. In general, rockeries are meant to be
free-draining, and the presence of liverworts suggests it isn't. Some
alpines grown in rockeries do not like to have damp around the stem as
it can cause collar rot. Liverworts pushing right up to such a plant
might encourage it, so at the very least try to clear them away from
direct contact with the plant.

--

Jeff
Old 04-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat0120 View Post
Hi

For the last couple of years in the rockery there has been a strange growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight which I think is partly the problem. Does anyone:

a) Know what it is
b) Know how to get rid of it?! There are a number of established plants already growing so it would need to be without harming these.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advice

Matt
As others have said this is Liverwort and grows in badly drained and damp areas. To get rid of it you need to improve the drainage of your soil by adding sharp sand. The only method I have found to kill it off altogether is by using glyphosate with some Fairy liquid.

Mick

[IMG] code is On

Strange Fungal Growth? bannbino Gardening 0 10-08-2010 04:35 PM
Fungal Growth? shogarth Lawns 0 09-05-2007 12:52 PM
Fungal Problems Tristan Australia 4 18-07-2003 09:12 AM
Fungal/insect problem with Olive tree? (0/1) news.gtn.net United Kingdom 0 08-05-2003 09:56 PM
what to do with fungal potting mix Salty Thumb of Death Gardening 4 08-03-2003 04:56 PM