GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   help identifiying these plants ! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/203865-help-identifiying-these-plants.html)

zuhayr-123 04-06-2012 06:30 PM

help identifiying these plants !

3 Attachment(s)
hi all, ive been doing some gardening now after a lenghthy recovery.
umm, i basically want to know what these plants are and what family they come from, best way to maintain them etc etc...
we moved into this house just over a year ago now and the garden was a mess with plants overgrowing and there where hills in the garden, (it was very bad)
so where pretty sure these plants where planted by the previous owner.
and ever since we moved in theyrev'e never grown so im guessing theyre the plants that kind of 'hibernate' in the winter and grow when the weathers ok (berrenials ??)

if anyone could have a look at the attached pictures id be greatful if you could tell me a few details about them.

thanks in advance !!

zuhayr-123 04-06-2012 06:40 PM

oh, i forgot to mention im only talking about the three black pots, the clay pot in the back is my grandmas mint plant :)
i took the plants out and potted them because the soil we have now isn't the best because its very hard and stony but at the same time its very loose ?
:$ (dont know if thats good) i potted them in fine top soil mixed with some compost.

allen73 04-06-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zuhayr-123 (Post 960663)
hi all, ive been doing some gardening now after a lenghthy recovery.
umm, i basically want to know what these plants are and what family they come from, best way to maintain them etc etc...
we moved into this house just over a year ago now and the garden was a mess with plants overgrowing and there where hills in the garden, (it was very bad)
so where pretty sure these plants where planted by the previous owner.
and ever since we moved in theyrev'e never grown so im guessing theyre the plants that kind of 'hibernate' in the winter and grow when the weathers ok (berrenials ??)

if anyone could have a look at the attached pictures id be greatful if you could tell me a few details about them.

thanks in advance !!

We tried zucchini but I don't remember any of them yielding anything if they even survived, peppers only bore a few that were tiny.

harrisom66 04-06-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zuhayr-123 (Post 960663)
hi all,

if anyone could have a look at the attached pictures id be greatful if you could tell me a few details about them.

thanks in advance !!

Looks to me like they are lilies, bulbs that flower every year, perennials. Lilies can be from 30cms to over 200cms tall and can be all the colours of the rainbow. Trying to identify which lily is which will be difficult as there are hundreds of varieties.

Mick

zuhayr-123 04-06-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrisom66 (Post 960667)
Looks to me like they are lilies, bulbs that flower every year, perennials. Lilies can be from 30cms to over 200cms tall and can be all the colours of the rainbow. Trying to identify which lily is which will be difficult as there are hundreds of varieties.

Mick

the bulb is a maroon colour and the roots have a pink tone to them if that narrows anything down but thanks for the help :)
theyre already about a foot tall so should i give them some support ?
would you be able to tell me any details on maintaining these plants ?
id be greatful if you could.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 04-06-2012 11:59 PM

allen73 wrote:
zuhayr-123;960663 Wrote:
[...]

No doubt and the noise of the grasshoppers dancing will keep you awake at
night unless you wear fluffy slippers to bed. [On your ears not your feet,
you may need sticky tape]

David E. Ross[_2_] 05-06-2012 01:37 AM

On 6/4/12 10:30 AM, zuhayr-123 wrote:
hi all, ive been doing some gardening now after a lenghthy recovery.
umm, i basically want to know what these plants are and what family they
come from, best way to maintain them etc etc...
we moved into this house just over a year ago now and the garden was a
mess with plants overgrowing and there where hills in the garden, (it
was very bad)
so where pretty sure these plants where planted by the previous owner.

and ever since we moved in theyrev'e never grown so im guessing theyre
the plants that kind of 'hibernate' in the winter and grow when the
weathers ok (berrenials ??)

if anyone could have a look at the attached pictures id be greatful if
you could tell me a few details about them.

thanks in advance !!

|Filename: Slough-20120604-00269.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15041|
|Filename: Slough-20120604-00270.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15042|
|Filename: Slough-20120604-00271.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15043|

The first two are some type of true lily. I'm not sure about the third
one, but it too might be a lily. The long buds open to rather nice
flowers. I can't have the flowers in my house because their fragrance
makes me sneeze, and I can't grow them in my garden because my soil is
very heavy clay.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see