Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sheep Manure/Compost

Does Sheep Manure make good compost? Been looking for some compost, and ran
across this add on craigslist: We have lots of cheep sheep manure/compost.
$20 per scoop. Scoops weigh between 500 and 600 pounds. I was thinking of
trying some of this stuff, however I can get horse aged manure/sawdust for
free..........The horse manure does have lots of sawdust.......
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Does Sheep Manure make good compost? Been looking for some compost,
and ran across this add on craigslist: We have lots of cheep sheep
manure/compost. $20 per scoop. Scoops weigh between 500 and 600
pounds. I was thinking of trying some of this stuff, however I can
get horse aged manure/sawdust for free..........The horse manure does
have lots of sawdust.......

See:
http://www.primalseeds.org/npk.htm for NPK values.

As always knowing the provenance helps. Horse may contain bedding straw or
sawdust (where the horses are stabled on hard feed) and it may contain
viable seeds from their feed. I haven't kept sheep and I haven't been to
The Shire so I cannot comment on whether either of these are issues with
sheep manure where you are.

David

Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Does Sheep Manure make good compost? Been looking for some compost, and ran
across this add on craigslist: We have lots of cheep sheep manure/compost.
$20 per scoop. Scoops weigh between 500 and 600 pounds. I was thinking of
trying some of this stuff, however I can get horse aged manure/sawdust for
free..........The horse manure does have lots of sawdust.......
Sheep manure makes very good compost if handled properly. The benefits are that it is low in odor and fairly inexpensive. Sheep manure is lower in nitrogen than many other animal manures, moderate in potassium and especially rich in potash. It can be used extensively without risk of burning young plants. The addition of sheep manure will improve the organic ratio of your soil, which is helpful for water retention and aeration and for providing crops with necessary microorganisms.
Fruit Trees