Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Newby question(s)

Just bought a house for the first time (at age 60!), and I have a back
yard I'd like to clear.
Of course, I'd like to clear the lot myself. Lot is about 50'x30.
Ordinarily I'd just take my time, clear a bit at a time. Would rather
not use herbicides (though the soil is hardly pristine--once caught one
of the painters dumping paint out back). I should probably try to rent
some power equipment, but is it feasible to do this with hand tools?
Biggest problem seems to be an overgrowth of wild fennel (which smells
great, but some of the tap roots go 2 feet straight down).
Any hand tools make this doable, or should I break down and get some
power tools I'll probably rarely use?

TIA,
Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

Just bought a house for the first time (at age 60!), and I have a back
yard I'd like to clear.
Of course, I'd like to clear the lot myself. Lot is about 50'x30.
Ordinarily I'd just take my time, clear a bit at a time. Would rather
not use herbicides (though the soil is hardly pristine--once caught one
of the painters dumping paint out back). I should probably try to rent
some power equipment, but is it feasible to do this with hand tools?
Biggest problem seems to be an overgrowth of wild fennel (which smells
great, but some of the tap roots go 2 feet straight down).
Any hand tools make this doable, or should I break down and get some
power tools I'll probably rarely use?

rent for the day/week or have friends
to beg/bribe/borrow/...

there's nothing wrong with doing it slowly and this
might give you a chance to identify plants you'd like
to keep that are currently overgrown or unknown to you
at present. also, doing it slowly means you don't
have to leave a lot of bare space for new weeds to
take over. mulching, using cover plants/cover crops,
green manures, layer gardening, etc. all very good
to learn and to figure out what your soil likes
best and needs. soil testing for garden spaces or
finicky plants is also a good idea if you plan on
spending a lot of money on new plants or suspect
your soil may be problematic... finding neighbors
who garden is great.

it can be quite an adventure.

here it was abandoned fields that used to be an old
christmas tree farm and before that it was mixed swampy
scrub and huge white pine trees. over the years of
gradually changing things we've found many wild flowers
and various critters. clearing it all and starting
over from scratch would have probably elminated the ones
we like and bringing in fill always has the risk of
bringing in new weed seeds too.

oh and avoid seeds/seed mixes that you don't know what
all is in them and how invasive or pesky they might be.
we have several weeds from such that have been a real
PITA...

songbird
Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

Just bought a house for the first time (at age 60!), and I have a back
yard I'd like to clear.
Of course, I'd like to clear the lot myself. Lot is about 50'x30.
Ordinarily I'd just take my time, clear a bit at a time. Would rather
not use herbicides (though the soil is hardly pristine--once caught one
of the painters dumping paint out back). I should probably try to rent
some power equipment, but is it feasible to do this with hand tools?
Biggest problem seems to be an overgrowth of wild fennel (which smells
great, but some of the tap roots go 2 feet straight down).
Any hand tools make this doable, or should I break down and get some
power tools I'll probably rarely use?

50' X 30' is a postage stamp. My vegetable garden is 50' X 50' and I
till it in like three hours, and I will soon be seventy years old. You
don't need to buy a tiller, go to your local Rent-All and rent one.
If you don't feel up to it for $100 hire a strapping teen for the
day... and I realize that's not easy, today's teens are deathly
ascared of dirt, sweat, and calluses. You'll probably need to hire a
girl. Haven't you noticed how Friendly's hires mostly girls, todays's
boys haven't the strength to scoop ice cream, nor the brains.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/7/2012 8:46 PM, songbird wrote:
Steven Bornfeld wrote:

[...]

Thanks. My next door neighbor is an avid gardener; recently retired,
has already volunteered to help me. But I know he'd refuse payment and
I feel funny about letting him work on the yard for free--plus he's no
youngster himself and smokes heavily. I'd just as soon get the aches
and pains myself.
Have read about "lasagna" gardening, but I'm going to have a heck of a
time cutting these huge weeds down flat enough to do it.
There are a few plants I'd consider keeping, but not much.

Steve
Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/7/2012 9:47 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Steven Bornfeld wrote:

[...]

It would be worth it to see the look on my 15-year old daughter's face
if I asked her to work out there. She's not exactly "strapping", but
she's got a smart mouth.
Maybe I'll see what I can rent.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

[...]

When my kids in their young teens had a smart mouth , or any other
thing they were in trouble for, the garden was the perfect place to
send them. I loved getting the weeds pulled and watching them do it !!
MJ
Old 08-06-2012, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

My next door neighbor is an avid gardener; recently retired,
has already volunteered to help me. But I know he'd refuse payment and
I feel funny about letting him work on the yard for free--plus he's no
youngster himself and smokes heavily.

But no harm in accepting his experienced advice.

I'd just as soon get the aches and pains myself.

Contact your local High School, there are typically teens looking for
summer jobs, and even if all you have to offer is a few days yard work
word of mouth spreads.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/8/2012 4:03 AM, mj wrote:

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

[...]

Timely--and more useful than just grounding her.

Steve
Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 8, 12:03*pm, Steven Bornfeld
wrote:
On 6/8/2012 4:03 AM, mj wrote:

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

[...]

****Caveat using teenagers. It's a lovely idea (old-fashioned
belief-system keys in) to help them learn the work ethic (and save a
buck), but you might find it helpful to give detailed instructions and
to supervise casually but carefully. Those *&^%$()_)# weeds can be
VERY deep-rooted (2 ft. taproot!!!). Just "pulling" the tops as kids
might think they should do will accomplish exactly zip; the roots are
there and will resprout in days.

No doubt you have already planned to soak the area thoroughly in
advance to make digging up the ^^%#$**)_@ easier and more effective?

Another approach, which I fear I might use even if I couldn't afford
it, would be to bring in a professional crew to get the job over with
fast and correctly.

If you do plan to DIY or hire kids, factor in the cost of renting or
buying tools which you might or might not need later on.

Chacun...

HB
Old 11-06-2012, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/9/2012 1:40 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jun 8, 12:03 pm, Steven
wrote:
On 6/8/2012 4:03 AM, mj wrote:

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

[...]

So far the back's holding up. The neighbor hopped the fence yesterday
and had at it with a spade. He gave it a good go, but was mightily
impressed. I continued today. The kid's not touching this.

Thanks,
Steve