Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Hever
Default Public Open Weekend

We are a family run wholesale nursery based in Hever in Kent. We grow perennials, grasses, alpines, herbs, veg, soft fruit, patio and topiary.

We supply garden centres, garden designers and local authorities.

2012 is our 30th anniversary year as a business and to celebrate this, we are having a series of open weekends to the public.

Our next event is June 16th & 17th from 9am - 5pm.

All welcome Simon
Old 09-06-2012, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

SIMON SUTCLIFFE wrote:
We are a family run wholesale nursery based in Hever in Kent. We grow
perennials, grasses, alpines, herbs, veg, soft fruit, patio and
topiary.

We supply garden centres, garden designers and local authorities.

2012 is our 30th anniversary year as a business and to celebrate this,
we are having a series of open weekends to the public.

Our next event is June 16th & 17th from 9am - 5pm.

All welcome Simon

That is the Kent just south of Seattle, right?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 14:49:39 +0000, SIMON SUTCLIFFE
wrote:

We are a family run wholesale nursery based in Hever in Kent.

Congratulations!

You're also SPAMMERS. You just SPAMMED the *worldwide* USENET with
your local self-promotional advertisement. Suggest you take out an
advert in your local paper or somesuch.

Don't pull the usual "oh, gosh, I had no idea, we were just trying to
spread the word". It's tiring, and EVERYONE who resorts to plowing
into some place they don't actually PARTICIPATE in to they can bomb it
with advertising always tosses that up as their defence.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Hever

Well thank-you very much Sean for that warm reply! I trust you have no idea about running a small family nursery with an ethos on plants and not just money? To own your own business for 30 years, it takes time and dedication which means 7 days a week. Margins are very little in this industry, so if it were for the money I'd go and work in the city! I have a passion for plants and am very proud of my business. To call me a spammer I find very offensive! If you want to make capatalist rants, I suggest you take them to another site! For your information I have placed adds in local papers, but I thought TRUE plant lovers would like to be given the opportunity to visit us! We make charitable donations every year, so don't lump me in with MacDonalds, Facebook etc! Having said all this, you are very welcome to visit us for our open days, where you'll be welcomed with open arms! Good day to you.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Madrid, Spain

Oh dear my! I didn't think this was the atmosphere on this website... I was here for advice and all that feeling of belonging to a community and I see this! I don't know what to think now... Maybe I am just too old for this hate...

Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Don't pull the usual "oh, gosh, I had no idea, we were just trying to
spread the word". It's tiring, and EVERYONE who resorts to plowing
into some place they don't actually PARTICIPATE in to they can bomb it
with advertising always tosses that up as their defence.

Oh dear my! I didn't think this was the atmosphere on this website... I
was here for advice and all that feeling of belonging to a community and
I see this! I don't know what to think now... Maybe I am just too old
for this hate...

SPAM is SPAM. Telling someone off for abusing a resource isn't
"hate". You may not care for my tone, but then, I don't care for
spam.

Further, "this website" you're referring to - gardenbanter.co.uk - is
a site that provides a web interface to the worldwide usenet - which
is where all the postings are sent, and many of the replies come from.
The spammer posted their promo to the world, not just their little
corner of it.

Simon sez:

Well thank-you very much Sean for that warm reply! I trust you have no
idea about running a small family nursery with an ethos on plants and
not just money?

If that were truely the case, why resort to spam? Perhaps I misread,
but it sure seemed like you were soliciting people to come to your
business to purchase things, a process which generally involves
exchanging money for goods.

There's also no evidence of prior participation here on your part -
you found somewhere to post your advertisement, and boom, off it went.

Margins are very little in this industry, so if it were for the money
I'd go and work in the city!

Well, if it weren't for the money, people wouldn't resort to spam.
They might use word of mouth, which is usually local and based on
quality of product and service actually experienced by customers.

have a passion for plants and am very proud of my business. To call me a
spammer I find very offensive!

The act of spamming is offensive. Everybody who does it thinks the
rules somehow don't apply to them, and that THEIR advertisement isn't
spam, because they're not a spammer. Spammers are filthy people in
some dark room sending advertisements for sex sites, pirated software,
and bogus prescription drugs, not someone with a real brick-and-mortar
establishment, right? The fact that a small business can blast their
notice out in front of thousands to millions of people (nevermind that
most of them are not in your region) for zero cost (to them at least)
makes it really appealing, but it still doesn't make it right.

If you want to make capatalist rants, I suggest you take them to another
site!

Capitalist rant? If anything it's an anti-capitalist rant, but it
isn't - it's about the abuse of communication resources for the
purpose of advertising.

We make charitable donations every year,

I'm quite sure you do. What bearing does that have on whether spam is
an appropriate advertising mechanism?

so don't lump me in with MacDonalds, Facebook etc!

Checking... nope, McDonalds hasn't spammed me, and the only spam I get
from facebook is by proxy - people I don't personally know uploading
their addressbooks and using their service trying to get me to visit
their page.

I still don't see the bearing that has on you posting spam to usenet
though.

Having said all this, you are very welcome to visit us for our open days, where
you'll be welcomed with open arms!

Not worth the airfare (about US$14K for upper class, and over $1400
for economy), and the plants would all assuredly be quarantined by the
agricultural department on my return.

It sure would be spiffy if gardenbanter made more of an effort to
educate its users of the fact that they're NOT posting to some local
garden forum, but are instead posting to the worldwide usenet - it's
referred to in their FAQ, but who reads those? Sadly, gardenbanter's
user agreement makes absolutely NO mention of not using the service to
send spam (really!). The core of their user agreement (outside of
'don't hold us responsible') seems to be this one passage:

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any
messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful,
threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

They totally dropped the ball on that one - they don't even specify
what country those laws are to be interpreted within. Agreements and
contracts should not be based upon assumptions.

Spam is bad. People who post it are "spammers". Don't want to be
called a spammer? Easy. Don't post spam.

Old 13-06-2012, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

SIMON SUTCLIFFE wrote:
To call me a spammer I find very offensive!

Maybe you should quit SPAMMING then. Otherwise, that's what you are. This is not
an advertising forum.

Old 15-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Hever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
SIMON SUTCLIFFE wrote:
To call me a spammer I find very offensive!

Maybe you should quit SPAMMING then. Otherwise, that's what you are. This is not
an advertising forum.
My spamming days are well officially over!! Sean and yourself have made me see the light! I've stopped bombarding the world with my world dominating open weekend message!
I'm resigned to the fact you Yanks have nothing better to do than read me my rights as a hardened criminal! I shall no longer be upsetting you all with such offensive material and concentrating on what I love - plants and gardening!
Let's start over guys - my favourite plant is the good old Echinacea and all it's subsequent cultivars - oh and an American prairie plant if I'm not mistaken? You have a fantastic plant breeding programme with the Terra Nova Nurseries. Cultivars that have adapted extremely well to the good old UK are Tomato Soup and Fatal Attraction - discuss!
Old 17-06-2012, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

SIMON SUTCLIFFE wrote:
Bob F;961539 Wrote:
SIMON SUTCLIFFE wrote:-
To call me a spammer I find very offensive!-

Maybe you should quit SPAMMING then. Otherwise, that's what you are.
This is not
an advertising forum.

My spamming days are well officially over!! Sean and yourself have
made me see the light! I've stopped bombarding the world with my world
dominating open weekend message!
I'm resigned to the fact you Yanks have nothing better to do than read
me my rights as a hardened criminal! I shall no longer be upsetting
you all with such offensive material and concentrating on what I love
- plants and gardening!

You are a lot more reasonable than most spammers. Thank you for that.

We get upset about ads in usenet, because if we let one or two get away with it,
pretty soon we won't be able to find content among all the spam. The ads are
never relevent to more than a very tiny number of the participants in a
newgroup, especially since most groups have worldwide participation.

Imagine if 1/100 of all "related" businesses started posting their "special
events" here. The group would be useless.