Old 13-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Registered User

Question unknown plant... HELP!!

i am new to this forum and to gardening my father really enjoys it but has found a plant in my cousins garden that he doesnt know what the name is... I was wondering if any one could help in naming this plant... thank you
Attached Thumbnails
unknown plant... HELP!!-imag0849.jpg
Old 14-06-2012, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default unknown plant... HELP!!

On 6/13/12 2:23 PM, blossom hill wrote:
i am new to this forum and to gardening my father really enjoys it but
has found a plant in my cousins garden that he doesnt know what the name
is... I was wondering if any one could help in naming this plant...
thank you

|Filename: IMAG0849.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15071|

The mature foliage near the bottom resembles that of a tree-like weed
that was a recent target when I was spraying the herbicide Roundup.
However, you and I are on different continents with quite different
climate; so it might be something else.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 14-06-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 21:23:56 +0000, blossom hill wrote:

i am new to this forum and to gardening my father really enjoys it but
has found a plant in my cousins garden that he doesnt know what the name
is... I was wondering if any one could help in naming this plant...
thank you

|Filename: IMAG0849.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15071|

Reminds me of leafy spurge, Euphorbia esula, but I can't pull enough
detail out of the photo to do much. Is the sap milky?

Closeup photos of leaves and flowers (actually inflorescences) would help,
as would an idea of the size of the plant.

Old 14-06-2012, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

blossom hill said:

i am new to this forum and to gardening my father really enjoys it but
has found a plant in my cousins garden that he doesnt know what the
name is... I was wondering if any one could help in naming this plant...
thank you

|Filename: IMAG0849.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php

attachmentid=15071|

Does look like Leafy Spurge. It is certainly some sort of Euphorbia.

It is a somewhat attractive plant. However North America, it is a weed;
an aggressive, invasive alien. And it doesn't play well with other plants.
It is suspected of allelopathy. (That means it releases chemicals that are
toxic to other plants).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 15-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kiewicz[_2_] View Post
blossom hill said:

i am new to this forum and to gardening my father really enjoys it but
has found a plant in my cousins garden that he doesnt know what the
name is... I was wondering if any one could help in naming this plant...
thank you

|Filename: IMAG0849.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?

attachmentid=15071|

Does look like Leafy Spurge. It is certainly some sort of Euphorbia.

It is a somewhat attractive plant. However North America, it is a weed;
an aggressive, invasive alien. And it doesn't play well with other plants.
It is suspected of allelopathy. (That means it releases chemicals that are
toxic to other plants).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored
thank you for your help i have found this on wikipedia and its full name is Euphorbia lathyris by wikipedia's records it is not a weed but a plant... thank you again you all have been very helpful

Old 15-06-2012, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

blossom hill writes:

thank you for your help i have found this on wikipedia and its full name
is Euphorbia lathyris by wikipedia's records it is not a weed but a
plant...

All weeds are plants.

A weed is simply a plant out of place.

--
Dan Espen
Old 15-06-2012, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/15/12 8:55 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
blossom hill writes:

thank you for your help i have found this on wikipedia and its full name
is Euphorbia lathyris by wikipedia's records it is not a weed but a
plant...

All weeds are plants.

A weed is simply a plant out of place.

And a volunteer is an interesting weed.

Old 15-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Registered User

i was wrong u were right it is a weed i missed the part at the bottom lol
Old 16-06-2012, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

blossom hill writes:

thank you for your help i have found this on wikipedia and its full name
is Euphorbia lathyris by wikipedia's records it is not a weed but a
plant...

All weeds are plants.

A weed is simply a plant out of place.

And a volunteer is an interesting weed.

In my college days, my "Economic Botany" class stated about
weeds:

1) edible plants that were cultivated at one time, then
rejected (dandelions, purslane, plantain), and

2) have small seeds (purslane) or seeds that match accepted
plants, and

3) grow on "disturbed soil" (meaning walked on, turned over,
plowed). Ever notice that Dandelions love cow pastures?

One solution to them is to eat them (make sure they really
are edible before tempting this: some folks idea of what
constitutes a weed are different than the above.).
Dandelions are good for the liver, but makes you
pee A LOT.

Purslane is probably the most nutritious edible plant
there is and is easy as hell to grow. (The one plant I have
no problem growing. Okay, Dandelions love me too, but I
don't try to grow them). Purslane tastes like watercress.
Eat it in salads, on hamburgers, with tomatoes, or just plain
straight. Great source of EPA/DHA.

The other solution is to shake your fist at them and accuse
their parents of not being married.

My Lemon Cucumbers are dying though. :'(

-T

[IMG] code is On

Unknown Plant Can Anyone help ? FilGee Gardening 6 12-12-2012 09:55 PM
Unknown plant help! Stephen Downie United Kingdom 7 11-08-2010 04:02 PM
Unknown plant si_mats United Kingdom 7 26-01-2004 11:20 PM
Help identify unknown plant material Ronald Plant Biology 2 10-09-2003 09:23 PM
I found what my unknown trailing plant was!!! [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2003 11:20 PM