Old 14-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Registered User

Location: UK
Default Is this a poppy?

In the autumn of 2010 I planted different types poppy seed that I'd forgotten to plant earlier in the year.

They didn't flower last year, I imagine because I'd sewn them too late. All of my seedlings and plants were kept in the greenhouse to grow and I hadn't labelled any of them.

We planted them out in the ground in March and they've done really well. But I'm a little confused because I was sure they were all poppies, but one particular plant doesn't look like the rest. It has strange buds on that I don't recognise.

Can someone confirm if this is a poppy or something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a poppy?-giantpoppy.jpg   Is this a poppy?-dontknow.jpg
Old 14-06-2012, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Labella
writes

In the autumn of 2010 I planted different types poppy seed that I'd
forgotten to plant earlier in the year.

They didn't flower last year, I imagine because I'd sewn them too late.
All of my seedlings and plants were kept in the greenhouse to grow and
hadn't labelled any of them.

We planted them out in the ground in March and they've done really
well.
But I'm a little confused because I was sure they were all poppies, but
one particular plant doesn't look like the rest. It has strange buds on
that I don't recognise.

Can someone confirm if this is a poppy or something else?

|Filename: giantpoppy.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15072|

That looks like a poppy.

|Filename: dontknow.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15073|

That looks like a yarrow (Achillea).

--
Labella

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-06-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:38:49 +0000, Labella wrote:

|Filename: giantpoppy.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15072|

Papaver orientale. BTW, most poppies do better sown in situ rather than
transplanted.

|Filename: dontknow.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15073|

Achillea millefolium, common yarrow, most likely.

Kay

Old 18-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Registered User

Location: UK

Thank you! I'll be looking it up right now!