GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Carrots - only "winter vegs"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/204063-carrots-only-winter-vegs.html)

Higgs Boson 16-06-2012 07:44 PM

Carrots - only "winter vegs"?

Getting such good results with Asian carrot ""Kuroda" that I would
like to replant. But not waste time/space.

Is there a "rule" that says one can't plant this "winter veg" now?
I can see not planting spinach or lettuce, but...?

Mild Mediterranean climate. No really awful summer heat.

Input welcome from NG members with similar or near-similar micro-
climates.

TIA

HB

Frank Miles 18-06-2012 08:51 PM

Carrots - only "winter vegs"?

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 11:44:48 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

Getting such good results with Asian carrot ""Kuroda" that I would like
to replant. But not waste time/space.

Is there a "rule" that says one can't plant this "winter veg" now? I can
see not planting spinach or lettuce, but...?

Mild Mediterranean climate. No really awful summer heat.

Input welcome from NG members with similar or near-similar micro-
climates.

TIA

HB

If you can keep the seed moist enough to germinate well, it's definitely
worthwhile. I usually try for a late carrot planting following the early
peas removal. Last year we had fresh carrots through February (yum!).
It has helped (to keep the soil moist) to cover the soil with some old
boards until the seed breaks the ground surface.

Higgs Boson 19-06-2012 12:58 AM

Carrots - only "winter vegs"?

On Jun 18, 12:51*pm, Frank Miles wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 11:44:48 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:
Getting such good results with Asian carrot ""Kuroda" that I would like
to replant. But not waste time/space.

Is there a "rule" that says one can't plant this "winter veg" now? I can
see not planting spinach or lettuce, but...?

Mild Mediterranean climate. *No really awful summer heat.

Input welcome from NG members with similar or near-similar micro-
climates.

TIA

HB

If you can keep the seed moist enough to germinate well, it's definitely
worthwhile. *I usually try for a late carrot planting following the early
peas removal.

****I just pulled my spinach and lettuce. A little late, actually;
they were going to seed. Just ate last salad.

*Last year we had fresh carrots through February (yum!).
It has helped (to keep the soil moist) to cover the soil with some old
boards until the seed breaks the ground surface.

***That's encouraging. Mind if I ask what is your climate?

HB

Frank Miles 19-06-2012 01:21 AM

Carrots - only "winter vegs"?

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 16:58:13 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Jun 18, 12:51Â*pm, Frank Miles wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 11:44:48 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:
Getting such good results with Asian carrot ""Kuroda" that I would
like to replant. But not waste time/space.

Is there a "rule" that says one can't plant this "winter veg" now? I
can see not planting spinach or lettuce, but...?

Mild Mediterranean climate. Â*No really awful summer heat.

Input welcome from NG members with similar or near-similar micro-
climates.

TIA

HB

If you can keep the seed moist enough to germinate well, it's
definitely worthwhile. Â*I usually try for a late carrot planting
following the early peas removal.

****I just pulled my spinach and lettuce. A little late, actually; they
were going to seed. Just ate last salad.

Â*Last year we had fresh carrots through February (yum!).
It has helped (to keep the soil moist) to cover the soil with some old
boards until the seed breaks the ground surface.

***That's encouraging. Mind if I ask what is your climate?

HB

Semi-Mediterranean - Seattle, Wa.