Old 04-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Registered User

Default Lavender seeds

Does Lavender produce seeds?

My brother wants some of the Lavender I have in my garden. Could I cut some of the plant off from somewhere to grow in a pot to produce more plants?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippysje View Post
Does Lavender produce seeds?

My brother wants some of the Lavender I have in my garden. Could I cut some of the plant off from somewhere to grow in a pot to produce more plants?
Lavender produces copious seeds, and if you collect them and keep them indoors over the winter, they are easy to germinate in seed trays in the spring. Whilst I have known fallen seeds to germinate in cracks in the paving, I've not known them germinate in the bed where I grow them.

They are also fairly easy to propagate from cuttings. I think would be a good time of year to have a go. Google "softwood cuttings".
Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/4/12 5:24 AM, skippysje wrote:
Does Lavender produce seeds?

My brother wants some of the Lavender I have in my garden. Could I cut
some of the plant off from somewhere to grow in a pot to produce more
plants?

Depending on the variety, cuttings might be best.

I have 'Goodwin Creek Grey', which is a hybrid -- a cross between French
and wooly lavender (Lavandula lanata × dentata). Hybrids do not
propagate true to their parents from seed. On the other hand, a
non-hybrid might propagate true from seed if no other species of
lavender is nearby.

Why take the risk? Propagating from cuttings is very easy with lavender.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see