GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Romneya (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/204703-romneya.html)

Farm1[_4_] 04-08-2012 03:39 AM

Romneya

Does anyone here grow Romneya?

If so, what sort of conditions does it do best in? I have one plant and I
must have it in the wrong positon because it's not thriving. I put it in an
east facing position where if get a some morning sun but I suspect I should
have put it in a hot, hard, hungry spot.

David E. Ross[_2_] 04-08-2012 06:50 AM

Romneya

On 8/3/12 7:39 PM, Farm1 wrote:
Does anyone here grow Romneya?

If so, what sort of conditions does it do best in? I have one plant and I
must have it in the wrong positon because it's not thriving. I put it in an
east facing position where if get a some morning sun but I suspect I should
have put it in a hot, hard, hungry spot.

Matilija poppy (Romneya) actually grows wild near where I live. It is a
drought-tolerant plant that prefers full sun, little water, and poor
soil. If given too much care, it will die. If given a little extra
water and a trace of fertilizer, it can become invasive.

See Romneya in Wikipedia.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Farm1[_4_] 05-08-2012 04:16 AM

Romneya

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 8/3/12 7:39 PM, Farm1 wrote:
Does anyone here grow Romneya?

If so, what sort of conditions does it do best in? I have one plant and
must have it in the wrong positon because it's not thriving. I put it in
an
east facing position where if get a some morning sun but I suspect I
should
have put it in a hot, hard, hungry spot.

Matilija poppy (Romneya) actually grows wild near where I live. It is a
drought-tolerant plant that prefers full sun, little water, and poor
soil. If given too much care, it will die. If given a little extra
water and a trace of fertilizer, it can become invasive.

Thank you David. I'd be delighted if mine even looked like being mildly
invasive. I'll move it this spring.