GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Propping up a young tree (in slightly unusual circumstances) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/204748-propping-up-young-tree-slightly-unusual-circumstances.html)

Childbirth 08-08-2012 05:16 PM

Propping up a young tree (in slightly unusual circumstances)

Hello,
Sadly I lost my pet cat in a road accident and have subsequently buried her beneath a fairly young Columnar Apple tree in a large pot in my yard.
The tree is looking a bit weak to stand up to strong winds and I want to prop it up but do not want to use a stake because I don't want to spear the cat's body.
What other kinds of 'out of soil' prop would anybody recommend?
Thanks
Jonathan

Brooklyn1 08-08-2012 11:31 PM

Propping up a young tree (in slightly unusual circumstances)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:16:04 +0000, Childbirth
wrote:

Hello,
Sadly I lost my pet cat in a road accident

You let your cat drive, did it at least have a driver's licence?

and have subsequently buried
her beneath a fairly young Columnar Apple tree in a large pot in my
yard.
The tree is looking a bit weak to stand up to strong winds and I want to
prop it up but do not want to use a stake because I don't want to spear
the cat's body.
What other kinds of 'out of soil' prop would anybody recommend?
Thanks
Jonathan

Damn... it's only August but I bet you're the sickest ******* I will
encounter for 2012.

zxcvbob 09-08-2012 01:14 AM

Childbirth wrote:
Hello,
Sadly I lost my pet cat in a road accident and have subsequently buried
her beneath a fairly young Columnar Apple tree in a large pot in my
yard.
The tree is looking a bit weak to stand up to strong winds and I want to
prop it up but do not want to use a stake because I don't want to spear
the cat's body.
What other kinds of 'out of soil' prop would anybody recommend?
Thanks
Jonathan

Not sure if you're serious, but how about a cinder block?

Bob

zibafu 09-08-2012 02:09 PM

since I now am trying to grow a grapevine I discovered one method you could try, hardish to describe tho

plant stakes either side of it firmly in the ground with wiring/string in between them horizontally taught, with it crossing the path of your tree,and then using another piece of string tie the plant to the wire, Ive no idea how well this would work for this so you'd need some pretty strong, long stakes that sit firmly in the ground surrounding the plant, and you can use several horizontal wires at different heights if you wanted to give it more support until its strong enough by itself.

Just a thought

Billy[_12_] 09-08-2012 06:34 PM

Propping up a young tree (in slightly unusual circumstances)

In article ,
zibafu wrote:

since I now am trying to grow a grapevine I discovered one method you
could try, hardish to describe tho

plant stakes either side of it firmly in the ground with wiring/string
in between them horizontally taught, with it crossing the path of your
tree,and then using another piece of string tie the plant to the wire,
Ive no idea how well this would work for this so you'd need some pretty
strong, long stakes that sit firmly in the ground surrounding the plant,
and you can use several horizontal wires at different heights if you
wanted to give it more support until its strong enough by itself.

Just a thought

See for pictures
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1428.html
or
http://extension.wsu.edu/maritimefruit/Pages/GrapePruningBasics.aspx

The cordon pruning is also done for fruit trees, i.e. apple.

In commercial vineyards the end posts are braced.

|\-------/|

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Travis 11-08-2012 03:48 AM

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:16:04 +0000, Childbirth wrote:

Hello,
Sadly I lost my pet cat in a road accident and have subsequently buried
her beneath a fairly young Columnar Apple tree in a large pot in my
yard.
The tree is looking a bit weak to stand up to strong winds and I want to
prop it up but do not want to use a stake because I don't want to spear
the cat's body.
What other kinds of 'out of soil' prop would anybody recommend?
Thanks Jonathan

Your cat shouldn't have been outside.
The cat is dead and will not feel the stake.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Dan Espen[_2_] 11-08-2012 04:47 AM

Travis writes:

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:16:04 +0000, Childbirth wrote:

Hello,
Sadly I lost my pet cat in a road accident and have subsequently buried
her beneath a fairly young Columnar Apple tree in a large pot in my
yard.
The tree is looking a bit weak to stand up to strong winds and I want to
prop it up but do not want to use a stake because I don't want to spear
the cat's body.
What other kinds of 'out of soil' prop would anybody recommend?
Thanks Jonathan

Your cat shouldn't have been outside.
The cat is dead and will not feel the stake.

Yep, that cat is beyond caring.

The cat should have been buried deep enough that a tree stake wouldn't
reach. I can get down 4 feet with a post hole digger pretty quickly.

--
Dan Espen