Old 14-08-2012, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What does "bolt" mean?

Hi All,

When I hear that a plat will "bolt" from the
hot weather, what does "bolt" mean?

Any way to prevent it?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 14-08-2012, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 12:11:39 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

When I hear that a plat will "bolt" from the
hot weather, what does "bolt" mean?

Sweaty nuts.
Old 14-08-2012, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/14/2012 3:11 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

When I hear that a plat will "bolt" from the
hot weather, what does "bolt" mean?

Any way to prevent it?

Many thanks,
-T

Bolt: to produce flowers or seeds prematurely. As for prevention, I've
never found a way beyond normal plant care and a massive dose of luck. It
appears that when my plants are under stress they are motivated to
reproduce before they die.
Old 15-08-2012, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

When I hear that a plat will "bolt" from the
hot weather, what does "bolt" mean?

Any way to prevent it?

Many thanks,
-T

It means for an annual to flower and go to seed too quickly, usually this
term is applied when we want the leaves (eg lettuce) not the flowers or
seeds. There are some cultivars that are said to be "slow bolting". If you
mulch heavily and put shade cloth over the plant to keep the soil
temperature down you may retard bolting in hot weather somewhat. Once they
decide to go there is nothing you can do. The only real solution is to not
grow the offender in hot conditions. So in my climate (about zone 9b)
despite lettuce being desired for summer salads I don't grow them then.

David

Old 15-08-2012, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 14, 1:06*pm, John McGaw wrote:
On 8/14/2012 3:11 PM, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

* * When I hear that a plat will "bolt" from the
hot weather, what does "bolt" mean?

* * Any way to prevent it?

Many thanks,
-T

Bolt: to produce flowers or seeds prematurely. As for prevention, I've
never found a way beyond normal plant care and a massive dose of luck. It
appears that when my plants are under stress they are motivated to
reproduce before they die.

Like most living things, including soldiers before going off to war.

HB

Old 15-08-2012, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

When I hear that a plat will "bolt" from the
hot weather, what does "bolt" mean?

Any way to prevent it?

Many thanks,
-T

It means for an annual to flower and go to seed too quickly, usually
this term is applied when we want the leaves (eg lettuce) not the
flowers or seeds. There are some cultivars that are said to be "slow
bolting". If you mulch heavily and put shade cloth over the plant to
keep the soil temperature down you may retard bolting in hot weather
somewhat. Once they decide to go there is nothing you can do. The only
real solution is to not grow the offender in hot conditions. So in my
climate (about zone 9b) despite lettuce being desired for summer salads
I don't grow them then.

David

Excellent explanation. Thank you

Old 15-08-2012, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/14/2012 01:06 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 8/14/2012 3:11 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

When I hear that a plat will "bolt" from the
hot weather, what does "bolt" mean?

Any way to prevent it?

Many thanks,
-T

Bolt: to produce flowers or seeds prematurely. As for prevention, I've
never found a way beyond normal plant care and a massive dose of luck.
It appears that when my plants are under stress they are motivated to
reproduce before they die.

Great explanation. Thank you