GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How foolish can a chook be? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/204958-how-foolish-can-chook.html)

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 28-08-2012 07:44 AM

How foolish can a chook be?

Oedipus the accessory rooster is no smarter than his daddy. Spring is on
the way so I was out riding the mower. The flock was out foraging on the
grass with Oedipus on the edge as usual. As I approached they scattered
except for himself who ran ahead of the mower. I was doing a loop around
the house so I just continued the next circuit one cut further out. He
managed to run ahead of the mower in a panic for the ENTIRE loop before it
dawned on him that if he turned outwards rather than inwards he would avoid
the dreaded churning orange beastie.

David

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 28-08-2012 02:02 PM

How foolish can a chook be?

David Hare-Scott said:

Oedipus the accessory rooster is no smarter than his daddy. Spring is on
the way so I was out riding the mower. The flock was out foraging on the
grass with Oedipus on the edge as usual. As I approached they scattered
except for himself who ran ahead of the mower. I was doing a loop around
the house so I just continued the next circuit one cut further out. He
managed to run ahead of the mower in a panic for the ENTIRE loop before it
dawned on him that if he turned outwards rather than inwards he would avoid
the dreaded churning orange beastie.

He was proving his fitness by leading the monster a merry chase?

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

[email protected] 28-08-2012 04:57 PM

How foolish can a chook be?

In sci.agriculture.poultry Pat Kiewicz wrote:
He was proving his fitness by leading the monster a merry chase?

Maybe related to all the loud clucking from a hen (and usually, joined by the
rooster) after she lays an egg. What's that about? "Hey! Predator!
There's chickens here, along with a nice, fresh egg!".

Chickens are funny critters, but we sure enjoy ours.

--
Andy Valencia
Home page: http://www.vsta.org/andy/

[email protected] 28-08-2012 10:31 PM

How foolish can a chook be?

On Monday, August 27, 2012 11:44:45 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Oedipus the accessory rooster is no smarter than his daddy. Spring is on the way so I was out riding the mower. The flock was out foraging on the grass with Oedipus on the edge as usual. As I approached they scattered except for himself who ran ahead of the mower. I was doing a loop around the house so I just continued the next circuit one cut further out. He managed to run ahead of the mower in a panic for the ENTIRE loop before it dawned on him that if he turned outwards rather than inwards he would avoid the dreaded churning orange beastie. David

As a young child I was in a large herd of turkeys who began to surround and come after me. One at a time these foul are easily scared, but surrounded by hundreds of them I was the one who was scared. They also will crowd together when scared or alarmed and suffocate each other. Birds! Janet

Farm1[_4_] 29-08-2012 03:42 AM

How foolish can a chook be?

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Oedipus the accessory rooster is no smarter than his daddy. Spring is on
the way so I was out riding the mower. The flock was out foraging on

the grass with Oedipus on the edge as usual. As I approached they
scattered except for himself who ran ahead of the mower. I was doing a
loop around the house so I just continued the next circuit one cut further
out. He managed to run ahead of the mower in a panic for the ENTIRE loop
before it dawned on him that if he turned outwards rather than inwards he
would avoid the dreaded churning orange beastie.

LOL. I can just picture it!

Nanzi 30-08-2012 04:57 PM

How foolish can a chook be?

Did you ever see the terrified lady newscaster in a turkey barn? She 'bout had apoplexy when they surrounded her. The cameramen had to rescue her. I would bet it is on youtube somewhere.

raykelpie 04-10-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] (Post 967674)
Oedipus the accessory rooster is no smarter than his daddy. Spring is on
the way so I was out riding the mower. The flock was out foraging on the
grass with Oedipus on the edge as usual. As I approached they scattered
except for himself who ran ahead of the mower. I was doing a loop around
the house so I just continued the next circuit one cut further out. He
managed to run ahead of the mower in a panic for the ENTIRE loop before it
dawned on him that if he turned outwards rather than inwards he would avoid
the dreaded churning orange beastie.

David

chooks were at the end of the line.