GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fences - Cats - DIY ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/205063-re-fences-cats-diy.html)

[email protected] 07-09-2012 10:18 PM

Fences - Cats - DIY ?

On Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:32:00 AM UTC-7, Gas Bag wrote:
A friend of mine has one of these fences that's about 178cm (5'10")

tall:

http://stratco.com.au/products/fenci..._neighbour.asp

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in. I

know full well that there are numerous commercially available products

that will stop cats (along with other animals) climbing fences. I'm

sure they do work, but they're all fairly pricey, particularly if

attempting to cover a significant length of fencing. I'm now thinking

about trying a home-rigged set up. I'm considering getting a whole

heap of empty 2 Litre plastic softdrink bottles (Soda bottles to any

USA readers), then cutting off the base and neck of the bottles, then

cutting them lengthwise, then siliconing them to the tops of the fence

so the sides of the bottles "curve downwards" from the top of the

fence. I'm thinking this curved plastic will be too smooth and

slippery for a cat to get any grip with it's claws. I have no problem

with spending some time getting this to work, but I want to keep the

cost down, so spending lots of $$$ isn't happening.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted anything like this, and if

they can offer any advice. Thanks.

To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her

cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Not to hijack this post, but it seems relevant. Any suggestions to keep cats out of a flower bed in the front yard? We seem to get cats in the neighborhood wanting to lay in them every once in awhile.