Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 AM
JNJ

Default Mulch against home?

Hi, correct me if I am wrong. I use dyed hardwood mulch around the house.
I'm not concerned about termites because 2-4 times a summer, I spray an
ant/termite insecticide by Ortho around the perimeter of the home. I see

no
ants etc. Am I taking a chance or is the insecticide application enough

keep the home invaders away?

You're taking a chance.

BTW, the rat has made an appearance again. I'm off to buy some rat

poison!

Where there's one there are typically many, many more. One year I decided
to take the "humane" approach and capture/release. After the 4th or 5th, I
took a more aggressive approach -- I stopped counting at about 60 carcasses.
Absolutely unbelievable.

James

Old 05-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Lar

In article , "BiG
Orange" @ says...
Be careful with that stuff if a dog gets ahold of a rat that has eaten it,
you can kiss the dog by too.

Over 15 years and have yet to see that scenario take
place when a dog is said to get the bait itself, much
less eat on a rat that died from a rat bait.
--
Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
BiG Orange

"Lar" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "BiG
Self employed in pest control...guess I am a "poisoning
rats around dog expert" of a sort.

I hope you get sued when you kill someone's pet because of your ignorance.
It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you have 30 dead
rats on your property and you are putting poison out, that you need to be
careful if you have:

1) small children
2) other pets or animals.

to say that it does not matter is really stupid and just because you are a
pest control guy does not make you an expert on the subject.

Anyone that sprays that stuff aint' to bright IMO anyway, I'm sure your life
expectancy will be decreased dramatically. Hope it's worth it.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Lar

In article , "BiG
Orange" @ says...

I hope you get sued when you kill someone's pet because of your ignorance.

As many continuing education classes taken to maintain
the licenses, if I were to get sued, ignorance couldn't
be the defense.
It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you have 30 dead
rats on your property and you are putting poison out, that you need to be
careful if you have:

1) small children
2) other pets or animals.

Where was it said care should not be taken when dealing
with rat toxins and if you are dealing with 30 rats at a
time you will have more issues to address than just the
services of an exterminator.

to say that it does not matter is really stupid and just because you are a
pest control guy does not make you an expert on the subject.

yet when you go back in the thread, the only one who
used the phrase "it really doesn't matter" was you...

Anyone that sprays that stuff aint' to bright IMO anyway, I'm sure your life
expectancy will be decreased dramatically. Hope it's worth it.
And the irony is, you have have such an emotional
hatred for an industry that over the years has added to
your life expectancy.

Old 06-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Susan K. Wehe

I lost two cats and had to have our rat terrier treated for arsenic
poisoning after we put out rat bait (in a safe location). In the dog's
case there was a partially eaten rat nearby. We retrieved the bait and
have never used it again. BTW, that inexpensive bait cost us about $700
in vet bills.

susan, who now has more cats, a recovered rat terrier and absolute
knowledge of second hand poisoning...

BiG Orange wrote:

Over 15 years and have yet to see that scenario take
place when a dog is said to get the bait itself, much
less eat on a rat that died from a rat bait.

It really doesn't matter if you've seen it or not, now does it? 15 years
experience of what, observing animals around rats? Are you a poisoning rat
around dogs expert or something? Anyway, it happens fairly often so if you
do have animals around rats that area being poisoned, be careful. Should be
a no brainier, for most of us anyway.