Old 18-10-2012, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help still needed on dividing Gerbera Daisy

We have a pot bound Gerbera daisy. It seemed to have 3 separate
crowns over the summer. Now, there are at least 6 distinct crowns,
and the root area is a solid tangle of roots. I could just slice
thru
the crowns and roots to divide the plant, or hopefully learn somthing
here as a better way to divide the plant up. We liv in the Chicago
area and will use growing lights over the winter to keep the plants
healthy.

Help!!!
Old 19-10-2012, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
" wrote:

We have a pot bound Gerbera daisy. It seemed to have 3 separate
crowns over the summer. Now, there are at least 6 distinct crowns,
and the root area is a solid tangle of roots. I could just slice
thru
the crowns and roots to divide the plant, or hopefully learn somthing
here as a better way to divide the plant up. We liv in the Chicago
area and will use growing lights over the winter to keep the plants
healthy.

Help!!!

For Chicago it's probably a little too late for dividing daisys,
better to wait until early spring. Right now remove the plant from
the pot and heel it into the ground and place a few inches of mulch
around. Once it leafs out in spring dig it up and carefully separate
the crowns by hand and plant them wherever. If you separate them now
they'll probably not establish a healthy root system before the ground
freezes. For me daisys are the one plant that doesn't belong caged in
a pot, daisys need to be free, plant them in the ground. And the
critters don't eat daisys.

I think if you do this you'll lose them. They're tropical and it just gets
too cold, at least here in southern Wi. Probably Chicago isn't much better,
despite global warming causing the winters to be less severe.

Most people around here just let them freeze and buy new ones every year.
But this will be the third year of overwintering gerbers in my sun room.
It's great having a bit of color mid winter. I just potted them up last
week and they're looking good. The first summer I stuck pots and all in the
ground, but this year I put them in the ground last spring and dug them up
last week. A couple do indeed now have multiple crowns but I didn't try
dividing them. Just got a bigger pot. But if you really want to divide them
slicing sounds like it should work. I've noticed moving them in and out of
pots that the root systems seem pretty tough.

I do the same with my cape daisies and have cut them when repotting. They
bloom especially well in winter cause they seem to like the sun room's
bright days and cool nights. They don't like the hot summer and quit
blooming in July. Also potted a couple of them up last week and they're
blooming nicely again now it's fall.
good luck

Old 20-10-2012, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*---------

[...]

good luck- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, we overwintered them in our south-facing kitchen bay window last
year and they did great this summer, that's why I have to split them
up. Will take a knife to the plant tonite. If anything interesting
happens, I'll post back here. No news is no newsg.
Old 20-10-2012, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote: wrote:

For Chicago it's probably a little too late for dividing daisys,
better to wait until early spring. *Right now remove the plant from
the pot and heel it into the ground

*** Pray, what does "heel it into the ground" mean?

You couldn't have much experience gardening, "heeling in" is very
common Gardening 101 nomenclature; it's what plant nurseries do with
unsold merchandise at the end of the planting season, and what home
gardeners do with plants that for whatever reason they haven't decided
on a permanent home. In this case even though Gerbana daisy prefers a
warmer clime it can survive a cold Chicago winter when properly heeled
in and covered with lots of mulch. Where I live winters are frigid,
temperatures often drop into the minus 20s, even minus 30s. Plant
nurseries dig a deep trench to place the balled and burlaped stock
into at an angle (heeling), then cover with a mountain of organic
mulch, no soil is necessary with balled and burlaped, the roots are
already in soil... the decaying mulch generates enough heat over
winter to protect the root ball... potted plants are treated the same
minus the pot but leave the roots undisturbed with the potting soil.
to make it easier to retrive in spring wrap the root ball with a
schmatah.
And you embarrass yourself... you're also a net newbie... any five
year old nowadays knows how to put heeling in into a search engine,
had you lookerd it up you wouldn't look like such an ass. Methinks
you're simply too preoccupied/blinded with trying to catch me in some
error... don't strain your pea brain, will never happen, especially
now that you've proven how little you know about gardening, the net,
and anything else.
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gard...-in-plants.htm
http://lmsgreenhouse.com/nursery-pho...ction/14129879

Old 21-10-2012, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 19, 7:24*pm, " wrote:
On Oct 19, 4:01*pm, "frinjdwelr" wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message

.. .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------**---------

Old 22-10-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote:

[...]

happens, I'll post back here. No news is no newsg.- Hide quoted text -

A sharp large kitchen knife cut the clump in two, and each half was
divided again. So I potted up all four plants in four plastic pots
and they will spend the winter indoors in a sunny garage window. It
isn't heated, but it is well-insulated and never goes below freezing
due to the house around it and a southwest exposure.

good to know. I'll be braver about cutting mine now.

[IMG] code is On

How to divide crowded Gerbera Daisy [email protected] Gardening 0 17-10-2012 02:08 AM
Gerbera daisy Tony Pacc Gardening 3 06-06-2006 12:47 AM
Gerbera Daisy Over Wintering Catty One Gardening 3 01-10-2005 03:24 AM
Hibiscus, Zinnia and Gerbera Daisy Questions:) junkyardcat Gardening 2 26-12-2004 10:18 AM
Will my gerbera daisy survive in the office? Charles Gilley Gardening 5 01-07-2003 10:45 PM