GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Borers in peach trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/205621-borers-peach-trees.html)

Steve B[_7_] 02-11-2012 05:54 PM

Borers in peach trees

I got borers in my peach trees. What insecticide to I treat this with?

Steve

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 02-11-2012 10:34 PM

Borers in peach trees

Steve B wrote:
I got borers in my peach trees. What insecticide to I treat this
with?

Steve

Try poking a bit of fine stiff wire down the hole and wiggling it about.

David E. Ross[_2_] 02-11-2012 11:05 PM

Borers in peach trees

Steve B wrote:
I got borers in my peach trees. What insecticide to I treat this
with?

Steve

Try poking a bit of fine stiff wire down the hole and wiggling it about.

Flat-head bark borers can kill major limbs or even the whole tree.
Since they carve out broad areas under the bark, there is no narrow hole
where a wire will suffice to kill them.

The classic treatment is a preventive spraying of lindane just after the
flower petals fall. This is supposed to be sprayed on all mature
branches, the trunk, and the soil within about 6 inches of the trunk.
However, lindane is an organochlorine chemical; and its use for
agriculture and home gardens is now prohibited in the U.S. and a number
of other nations.

This coming spring, I plan to use an imidacloprid drench on my peach
tree. This systemic is definitely NOT approved for use on edibles;
however, the research that I have seen says that it is harmless to birds
and mammals, including humans. It is very harmful to honeybees, which
is why I will wait until after the peach flowers lose their petals. One
treatment should last 12 months, but I expect the effects on bees will
be minimal when the peach flowers again in a year.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see