GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what is the name of the tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/205778-what-name-tree.html)

Philipp Chapkovski 21-11-2012 05:54 PM

what is the name of the tree

I have seen this tree in a garden in Toscana, Italy, but do not know its name. Here is the photo of the cone - which is rather unusual. Does somebody know the name of the tree?
Thanks in advance!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fpa8d4etp...%20%283%29.JPG

David E. Ross[_2_] 21-11-2012 06:02 PM

what is the name of the tree

On 11/21/12 9:54 AM, Philipp Chapkovski wrote:
I have seen this tree in a garden in Toscana, Italy, but do not know its name. Here is the photo of the cone - which is rather unusual. Does somebody know the name of the tree?
Thanks in advance!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fpa8d4etp...%20%283%29.JPG

It is not a cone. It is a fruit, a seed capsule.

That is likely a southern magnolia (M. grandiflora), sometimes called a
"bull bay". A few other magnolias have similar fruits, but M.
grandiflora is generally the most commonly planted magnolia tree. There
are also magnolia bushes, but their fruits are often much more narrow.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Philipp Chapkovski 21-11-2012 07:54 PM