Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Default Scotch Broom & Spanish Broom removal tips

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:15:22 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Do you have any good tricks (like the one we already have for Scotch
Broom) for removing Spanish Broom in the wet winters?

Here for the record is how I removed the scotch & spanish broom.

1. The task was to weed about an acre of these weeds:

2. I first got below the weed on the hillside & grasped low:

3. Then I pulled DOWNWARD with all my strength, always downhill:

4. With the ground saturated by rain, the weeds came out:

5. As predicted, the Spanish Broom was the hardest to pull:

6. Some of the plant roots were as thick as a fat thumb:

7. However most of the thousand of plants pulled had thin roots:

8. And now the muddy hillside is devoid of the weed plants:

Old 08-01-2013, 04:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On 1/8/2013 12:33 AM, Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:15:22 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Do you have any good tricks (like the one we already have for Scotch
Broom) for removing Spanish Broom in the wet winters?

Here for the record is how I removed the scotch& spanish broom.

1. The task was to weed about an acre of these weeds:

2. I first got below the weed on the hillside& grasped low:

3. Then I pulled DOWNWARD with all my strength, always downhill:

4. With the ground saturated by rain, the weeds came out:

5. As predicted, the Spanish Broom was the hardest to pull:

6. Some of the plant roots were as thick as a fat thumb:

7. However most of the thousand of plants pulled had thin roots:

8. And now the muddy hillside is devoid of the weed plants:

The plants with thin roots are rather new seedlings. You will continue
to have new seedlings for years to come. Just keep after them and
eventually the plague will go away.

Paul
Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:46:07 -0800, Paul Drahn wrote:

The plants with thin roots are rather new seedlings. You will continue
to have new seedlings for years to come. Just keep after them and
eventually the plague will go away.

I agree with you!

In fact, two years ago, I cleared an acre of the Scotch Broom
and Spanish Broom with a chain saw (the Spanish Broom was up
to 6 inches thick or so and 15 feet tall or so).

The Spanish Broom came back with a vengeance, especially as
it sprouted around the cut stumps.

Then I learned you must paint with glyphosate (e.g., Roundup)
within five minutes of cutting.

That stopped the recidivists.

Then I learned that the seeds can remain viable for 100 years!

Wow. No wonder the invasive broom species took over the land!

I'd like to strangle the guy who brought them into this country!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On 1/8/2013 11:55 AM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:46:07 -0800, Paul Drahn wrote:

The plants with thin roots are rather new seedlings. You will continue
to have new seedlings for years to come. Just keep after them and
eventually the plague will go away.

I agree with you!

In fact, two years ago, I cleared an acre of the Scotch Broom
and Spanish Broom with a chain saw (the Spanish Broom was up
to 6 inches thick or so and 15 feet tall or so).

The Spanish Broom came back with a vengeance, especially as
it sprouted around the cut stumps.

Then I learned you must paint with glyphosate (e.g., Roundup)
within five minutes of cutting.

That stopped the recidivists.

Then I learned that the seeds can remain viable for 100 years!

Wow. No wonder the invasive broom species took over the land!

I'd like to strangle the guy who brought them into this country!

Many years ago ODOT, Oregon Dept of Transportation planted Scotch broom
in newly constructed highway embankments to control soil erosion. Years
later, when they became aware of allergies and how invasive they are,
they tried to eradicate the Scotch Broom. Of course that never worked.

Now they deny any responsibility! I recall driving by a planting of
Spanish Broom and being unable to breathe for almost a minute. Then I
learned to hold my breath when I passed the spot.

Paul
Old 08-01-2013, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 14:41:01 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

[...]

Crown Vetch is used in the East, with a similar outcome. I don't
think it's quite as bad, allergenically as you say, though.

Now they deny any responsibility! I recall driving by a planting of
Spanish Broom and being unable to breathe for almost a minute. Then I
learned to hold my breath when I passed the spot.

When was the last time you saw a politician (or regulator) accept
responsibility for *anything*. Remember, it's GWB's fault.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 14:41:01 -0800, Paul Drahn wrote:

I recall driving by a planting of
Spanish Broom and being unable to breathe for almost a minute. Then I
learned to hold my breath when I passed the spot.

I actually like the smell.

But, as can be seen by this photo today, they resprout
whenever I cut them (I thought I had eradicated them last year!).

Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 01:01:37 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:44:12 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

You have to get in quickly with the cut stumps. I don't know the time
for poison oak but within 2 or 3 minutes is not unusual. When you cut a
stump it first oozes sap and then the flow reverses. If you don't get in
by that stage there will be nothing to suck the glyphosphate back into
the stump. Leaving it that late is too late.

Aha!

That explains why I failed to eradicate Spanish Broom on my property
in addition to the Poison Oak.

Recently I learned you need to apply the glyphosate within minutes
of chainsawing the Spanish Broom.

I never knew why - and - I thought it was specific to Spanish Broom.

From what you're saying, it's the way plants work.