Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with achainsaw?

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:05:32 -0800, bob haller wrote:

i had great success on poision ivy by mixing 50% roundup with 50%
poision ivy killer... they wilted by the next morning and just died...
either seperately was not effective

Hi Bob,

Trust me, I tried the weed killer.

Every year I buy this 2.5 gallon concentrated (41%) glyphosate (which is
a huge amount considering you dilute it 2 ounces to 5 gallons of water):

Notice those gloves in that picture are the ones I used on Sunday and
they're already starting to show the black urushiol lacquer, which only
reveals itself a day later (or after washing), presumably as it oxidizes.

The problem is that you need a helicopter to get the weed killer on the
leaves. Sure, I can spray the entire front by the curb, but how do I get
the spray 10 or 20 feet deep and down the very steep hillside?

A pressure washer, filled with glyphosate, might do the trick though!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Can the goats be tethered on aircraft cable lines? So the goats don't chew
themselves free?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Danny D." wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 05:58:45 -0800, Robert Macy wrote:

In California wilds, goats that preferentially ATE poison oak were used
to 'maintain' the landscape.

Friends down the street actually have goats, and they concur.
The key problem for them to lend me the goats is that the land isn't
fenced in.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:46:24 -0800, TimR wrote:

Roundup has worked fine for me. The plants take about a week to die,
but that gives time to get the poison through the system

Hi Tim,

Yes. The Roundup weed killer works.

I buy this concentrate for about $100

The problem with Roundup isn't that it doesn't work.

The problem is getting to the plant, which fortresses itself with 10 to
20 feet of vines, such that I can't get the roundup to the leaves.

The fact the poison oak, out here, is always on a steep hill, makes it
doubly hard to get the roundup to the leaves.

I'm thinking whether a pressure washer could work to throw the roundup
the necessary 20 feet, but I've only hooked my pressure washer to a
garden hose and never to a 25-gallon bucket of weed killer.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:44:32 -0800, TimR wrote:

How sure are you of the identification?

Oh yes. Very very very sure!

I have cut human-sized tunnels through poison oak, where the urushiol
literally drips like a faucet overhead from the wrist-sized hangers.

The leaves-of-three are distinctive, and are not wild raspberries (whose
leaves look similar but are furry & spiny). The white berries are also
distinctive, as are the tendrils all over the place.

Of course, the fact that the rash is starting to show up at my wrists,
ankles and neck from my weekend work is yet another clue - but - yes,
there is absolutely no doubt what it is.

The problem isn't identifying it - the problem is getting rid of it
without actually getting it!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:42:29 -0600, homeowner wrote:

How about soaking the base of them around the roots with diesel fuel.

I have read that rock salt works, so that is an option which might be
less harmful to the environment than diesel fuel.

I've never used rock salt before, so I'd have to research how to use it
on plants.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:42:29 -0600, homeowner wrote:

I dont know how long it takes for that oil that causes
the skin irritation to go away after the plant is dead.
You'd have to do research on that.

I did do the research!

This scientific site says it lasts 100 years!
http://online.sfsu.edu/bholzman/cour...nalwebsite.htm

Here's the verbatim quote from that San Francisco State web site:
"What is amazing is specimens 100 years old have been known
to cause dermatitis in humans, because urushiol is a relatively
stable compound, and can remain potent for years in the absence
of oxidation (Armstrong & Epstein 1995)."

I would think that, outdoors, exposed to the elements, the urushiol
would only be allergenic to humans for something on the order of
perhaps only 5 or 10 years, but, the point is that the oil from
Toxicodendron diversilobum will last far longer than we'd like it to.

The verbatim statement from that web site below leads me to
conjure the thought that this single plant on my property can
infect every single person on earth, since it was literally
dripping drops of sap within a few minutes of cutting the plant!
"Urushiol is so incredibly toxic that it would take only one
ounce of it to affect everyone on the earth with a rash
(Brooks 2001)."
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 13:52:16 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

A lot of farmers in this rural community kill poison ivy and poison
sumac by applying a goodly quantity of rock salt at their base

I like the idea of rock salt as it must be cheaper than the $100
containers of weed killer that I'm buying today (2.5 gallons each).
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/11915886.jpg

This web site explains the NaCl concentration for weed killer:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/rock-sa...nts-56853.html

While the NaCl appears to be effective, that page also outlines the
major problem when it's applied on a hillside where my plant resides.

Plus, I still need to manually remove the dead plants, which are
(almost) as toxic dead as they were alive - at least for the
foreseeable future.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:23:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Can the goats be tethered on aircraft cable lines?
So the goats don't chew themselves free?

That's an interesting and clever idea!

But, at this point, I'm not goating there!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

In article ,
Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:23:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Can the goats be tethered on aircraft cable lines?
So the goats don't chew themselves free?

That's an interesting and clever idea!

But, at this point, I'm not goating there!

I agree, wouldn't want to horn in...

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Old 08-01-2013, 11:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Jan 8, 4:31*am, "Danny D." wrote:
This weekend, I needed to remove a poison oak plant along
my property but the plant was too big and too much on a hill
for spraying; so I cut it with an 18" chainsaw and packed
it up for proper disposal.

After just two hours, I was covered in the poison oak oil
(my clothes came out of the wash all streaked black as if
the kids had taken a black marker to them) - but I had to
stop as the two recyling bins were jam packed to the brim.

Since I still have a few more poison oak plants to remove,
I'm wondering if you outdoor experts have a better way than
what I'm doing for removal of a poison oak plant from your
property? (The last picture is of me washing up!)

Here are 19 annotated pictures, taken sequentially.
1.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912409.jpg
2.http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912411.jpg
3.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912412.jpg
4.http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912413.jpg
5.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912414.jpg
6.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912415.jpg
7.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912417.jpg
8.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912419.jpg
9.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912420.jpg
10.http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912421.jpg
11.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912422.jpg
12.http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912423.jpg
13.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912424.jpg
14.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912425.jpg
15.http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912426.jpg
16.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912427.jpg
17.http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912428.jpg
18.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912429.jpg
19.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912430.jpg

I didn't measure it, but this one plant is about 20 feet long
(or so), by about 20 feet deep down a hill - but I only removed
about 5 feet along the curb as I ran out of room in the bins.

Did you mark the bins so the disposal guys will be aware of the danger?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 20:20:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:05:32 -0800, bob haller wrote:

i had great success on poision ivy by mixing 50% roundup with 50%
poision ivy killer... they wilted by the next morning and just died...
either seperately was not effective

Hi Bob,

Trust me, I tried the weed killer.

Every year I buy this 2.5 gallon concentrated (41%) glyphosate (which is
a huge amount considering you dilute it 2 ounces to 5 gallons of water):

Notice those gloves in that picture are the ones I used on Sunday and
they're already starting to show the black urushiol lacquer, which only
reveals itself a day later (or after washing), presumably as it oxidizes.

The problem is that you need a helicopter to get the weed killer on the
leaves. Sure, I can spray the entire front by the curb, but how do I get
the spray 10 or 20 feet deep and down the very steep hillside?

You might try a sprayer intended for fruit trees; long snorkel.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On 1/8/2013 3:24 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:46:24 -0800, TimR wrote:

Roundup has worked fine for me. The plants take about a week to die,
but that gives time to get the poison through the system

Hi Tim,

Yes. The Roundup weed killer works.

I buy this concentrate for about $100

The problem with Roundup isn't that it doesn't work.

The problem is getting to the plant, which fortresses itself with 10 to
20 feet of vines, such that I can't get the roundup to the leaves.

The fact the poison oak, out here, is always on a steep hill, makes it
doubly hard to get the roundup to the leaves.

I'm thinking whether a pressure washer could work to throw the roundup
the necessary 20 feet, but I've only hooked my pressure washer to a
garden hose and never to a 25-gallon bucket of weed killer.

Have you tried 2,4D? It works on my poison ivy.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Hey, let me know if you need a top poster to
goat (goad) you on. Ha, ha!

As to applying salt. I think the choices include to dissolve in water and
spray, or to sprinkle it on the ground. Poultices are too much work, and
it's not alcohol soluoble enough to make tinctures. I'd think sprinkling on
the ground at the base of the plants. With the size of your infestation, you
may need a snow thrower to distribute the salt pellets. We can safely rule
out IM or IV inejctions.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

At the same moment, we had the same idea
to teher. (sorry, not funny.)

We'd come up with an idea. One, or t'ether.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..