Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than witha chainsaw?

On 1/8/2013 1:24 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:46:24 -0800, TimR wrote:

Roundup has worked fine for me. The plants take about a week to die,
but that gives time to get the poison through the system

Hi Tim,

Yes. The Roundup weed killer works.

I buy this concentrate for about $100

The problem with Roundup isn't that it doesn't work.

The problem is getting to the plant, which fortresses itself with 10 to
20 feet of vines, such that I can't get the roundup to the leaves.

cut the vines where you can reach and paint the cut surfaces with roundup.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On 1/8/2013 3:02 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 20:20:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:05:32 -0800, bob haller wrote:

i had great success on poision ivy by mixing 50% roundup with 50%
poision ivy killer... they wilted by the next morning and just died...
either seperately was not effective

Hi Bob,

Trust me, I tried the weed killer.

Every year I buy this 2.5 gallon concentrated (41%) glyphosate (which is
a huge amount considering you dilute it 2 ounces to 5 gallons of water):

Notice those gloves in that picture are the ones I used on Sunday and
they're already starting to show the black urushiol lacquer, which only
reveals itself a day later (or after washing), presumably as it oxidizes.

The problem is that you need a helicopter to get the weed killer on the
leaves. Sure, I can spray the entire front by the curb, but how do I get
the spray 10 or 20 feet deep and down the very steep hillside?

You might try a sprayer intended for fruit trees; long snorkel.

here in phx, they spray olive trees to prevent flowering. they use what
looks like truck mounted pressure sprayers with a very long hose and
wand so they can reach the top of the trees some 20-40' up.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

I'd bite, but chewed not like what I had
to say. It would be baaaad.

We have a problem in the USA, when we
have goat naught better to do but oak
around on usenet.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Larry W" wrote in message
Can the goats be tethered on aircraft cable lines?
So the goats don't chew themselves free?

That's an interesting and clever idea!

But, at this point, I'm not goating there!

I agree, wouldn't want to horn in...

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On 1/8/2013 1:33 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:42:29 -0600, homeowner wrote:

How about soaking the base of them around the roots with diesel fuel.

I have read that rock salt works, so that is an option which might be
less harmful to the environment than diesel fuel.

I've never used rock salt before, so I'd have to research how to use it
on plants.

it can also sterilize the soil so you won't be able to plant anything.
furthermore, when it rains, everything downhill may also go.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On 1/8/2013 1:43 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:42:29 -0600, homeowner wrote:

I dont know how long it takes for that oil that causes
the skin irritation to go away after the plant is dead.
You'd have to do research on that.

I did do the research!

This scientific site says it lasts 100 years!
http://online.sfsu.edu/bholzman/cour...nalwebsite.htm

Here's the verbatim quote from that San Francisco State web site:
"What is amazing is specimens 100 years old have been known
to cause dermatitis in humans, because urushiol is a relatively
stable compound, and can remain potent for years in the absence
of oxidation (Armstrong & Epstein 1995)."

I would think that, outdoors, exposed to the elements, the urushiol
would only be allergenic to humans for something on the order of
perhaps only 5 or 10 years, but, the point is that the oil from
Toxicodendron diversilobum will last far longer than we'd like it to.

The verbatim statement from that web site below leads me to
conjure the thought that this single plant on my property can
infect every single person on earth, since it was literally
dripping drops of sap within a few minutes of cutting the plant!
"Urushiol is so incredibly toxic that it would take only one
ounce of it to affect everyone on the earth with a rash
(Brooks 2001)."

careful, wmd searchers are currently on the way. watch for the black
helicopters.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

I remember reading that Danny did mark the bins.
And the trash pickup guys refused the bins.

Just imagine the pickup guys coming down with
wicked poison oak, and not knowing why.

Can we donate that stuff to the military, and they
can spray it on the enemy a couple days before
ground invasions? Just think if we sprayed Mogadishu
before the "Blackhawk Down" invasion that went
so badly wrong. All those skinnies home, itching
instead of shooting at the Rangers.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I didn't measure it, but this one plant is about 20 feet long
(or so), by about 20 feet deep down a hill - but I only removed
about 5 feet along the curb as I ran out of room in the bins.

Did you mark the bins so the disposal guys will be aware of the danger?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 20:29:25 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

The problem isn't identifying it - the problem is getting rid of it
without actually getting it!

....bring in a back-hoe
Old 08-01-2013, 11:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:35:56 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 1/8/2013 3:24 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:46:24 -0800, TimR wrote:

Roundup has worked fine for me. The plants take about a week to die,
but that gives time to get the poison through the system

Hi Tim,

Yes. The Roundup weed killer works.

I buy this concentrate for about $100

The problem with Roundup isn't that it doesn't work.

The problem is getting to the plant, which fortresses itself with 10 to
20 feet of vines, such that I can't get the roundup to the leaves.

The fact the poison oak, out here, is always on a steep hill, makes it
doubly hard to get the roundup to the leaves.

I'm thinking whether a pressure washer could work to throw the roundup
the necessary 20 feet, but I've only hooked my pressure washer to a
garden hose and never to a 25-gallon bucket of weed killer.

Have you tried 2,4D? It works on my poison ivy.

Agent Orange, there you go! ;-)

Poison Ivy is better killed with a "wooded plant" herbicide. 2,4D
probably qualifies, though there are several sold these days.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Perzactly. I've seen them used on apple trees, too.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

I wonder if a backpack sprayer would do the job?
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-gallo...yer-65040.html

Less efficient, but a pressurized water fire extinguisher has some range.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/firea...amerex-240.jpg
I've owned several of these, over the years. 20 foot horizontal range is
possible.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

http://www.guidrynews.com/story.aspx?id=1000005595
I bought such a Nomad sprayer on Ebay, for cleaning
jobs away from home. Worked reasonably well. I also
used it to pump pink antifreeze into RV water systems.

Might apply Roundup mix to these poison oaks. Ten foot
hose. I remember I was able to stand on the ground, and
spray water on top of my mobile home. Kind of fun.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:35:56 -0500, Frank wrote:

Have you tried 2,4D? It works on my poison ivy.

Hi Frank,
2,4D (aka Agent Orange) might work, especially if I could drop it out of
the sky like they did in Vietnam - which - is my real problem with weed
killers.

The poison oak plants I have are 20 feet long by something like 5 to 10
to 20 feet deep, so, there's just no way a normal weed killer sprayer is
going to go the distance.

Today I tried to see if I could get my pressure washer to suck out of the
5 gallon pesticide jug - but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Does anyone know how to get a pressure washer to spray the stuff?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 18:00:34 -0500, krw wrote:

Poison Ivy is better killed with a "wooded plant" herbicide.

I'd say this poison oak plant I just cut today is pretty "woody"!

See this picture of the urushiol literally dripping out!

Apparently 8 ounces can infect everyone on earth - and - if you look at
this one stem, I'd wager we could get that 8 ounces out of it in an hour!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:44:01 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

cut the vines where you can reach and paint the
cut surfaces with roundup.

I'm not sure I've adequately explained the MAGNITUDE of my problem.

Please look at this picture I just took today of the other side of the
poison oak plant I'm trying to kill.
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/11917454.jpg

This is the full-size picture, just so you can SEE, up front, what I'm
dealing with, face to face, man to land:

The sheer number of toxic vines is tremendous, so, cutting each one
individually and painting them with weedkiller would certainly work - but
- it would take a very long time!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:02:00 -0500, krw wrote:

You might try a sprayer intended for fruit trees; long snorkel.

Now that's a new idea!

I'll google to see what the heck a fruit-tree sprayer looks like!

I failed today to get my pressure washer to work because I couldn't
figure out how to get it to suck from the jug instead of from the hose.