Old 09-01-2013, 07:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with achainsaw?

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 14:00:50 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Did you mark the bins so the disposal guys will be aware of the danger?

Actually, I had put a sign in Spanish & English on the green recycling
bins, but, then I called the waste management company to warn them, and
they told me they won't pick them up because they are a toxic waste
biohazard!

So, I ended up wistfully pulling all the mutilated Pacific Poison Oak
vines back OUT of the bins (which probably exposed me to more than
chainsawing them did!) ... and I carried the bleeding-black vines deeper
into the chaparral for safety sake, cursing the day I ever got the bright
idea of putting them into the recycling bins in the first place!

Lesson learned, the hard way!

Note: In the picture above, the black ring is a ring of oxidized urushiol,
which weeped clear, but then oxidized to a black laquer since Sunday.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:01:52 -0800, Pat wrote:

They make cutters that mount on excavators look here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX66xyk0InQ

I WISH I had an excavator/cutter like that one!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 23:35:25 -0500, Wes Groleau wrote:

They may chew on the bark of the vines--that part I can't remember. They
did like the bark of some trees, but I don't remember whether they liked
poison oak bark. (It was thirty years ago)

Hi Wes,
Wow. You have a lot of good information!

If they chew on the bark, there's no way they're not exposed to the
urushiol in huge amounts!

Here is a full-sized picture of what's just under the bark on a small
vine, of the type they might chew on. They must have amazing guts!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 01:17:40 -0500, Nil wrote:

Ever since then I've been VERY sensitive

When I first bought the property I live at, which is covered in Pacific
Poison Oak, I researched the Internet for weeks, trying to assess my
enemy. (Never underestimate your enemy when it's poison oak!)

One thing I learned is that the delayed cell mediated immune response to
urushiol is such that NOBODY is ever (truly) immune.

Sure, you might not get the rash this time. Maybe not next time. Maybe
not the next. Or the next after that. But, the physiology of the body's
immune response is such that everyone 'can' get it at any time after the
first exposure. Which is exactly what you found out!

What I do, by the way, after a severe exposure, is, instead of buying the
expensive IvyBlock/Technu/Zanfel/Prednisole regimen, is the following:

Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 20:55:49 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

A lot of farmers in this rural community kill poison ivy and poison
sumac by applying a goodly quantity of rock salt at their base

I like the idea of rock salt as it must be cheaper than the $100
containers of weed killer that I'm buying today (2.5 gallons each).
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/11915886.jpg

Hey, I'n going to give the rock salt a try. It's cheaper than diesel
fuel too, and probably is safer for the environment.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

In the PNW, you can rent goats for blackberry control, along with sections of
portable chainlink fence. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9jxa7T6WGQ

How about power pruners like: http://www.blackanddecker.com/outdoor/LP1000.aspx
or the pro versions?

Do you know about Technu IvyBlock and Technu Extreme? http://www.ivyblock.com/
http://www.teclabsinc.com/store/pois.../tecnu-extreme A friend who is
exquisitely sensitive to poison oak/ivy/sumac swears by it.

Kay

Old 09-01-2013, 11:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

"Robert Macy" wrote

In California wilds, goats that preferentially ATE poison oak were
used to 'maintain' the landscape. Goats were happy. People were happy.
Now THAT is recycling!

Sheep also eat poison oak, and you can also clip them and sell their wool.
California has many shepherds who use them for exactly this kind of thing.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

"Danny D." wrote

This is California in a high fire hazard high smog zone.
It's my understanding we can't even use a wood-burning fireplace
for half the year, but that's for smog reasons. So burning is out.

Look for someone who rents out goats or sheep and have them come by and eat
the poison oak. Seriously. They love the stuff.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Jan 8, 3:43*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
At the same moment, we had the same idea
to teher. (sorry, not funny.)

We'd come up with an idea. *One, or t'ether.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

tethered?

arrrggg! what did I do to deserve this punishment?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Jan 8, 9:25*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
...sinip...
Note: The amount of urushiol you see dripping in that one picture can
poison the entire population of the planet, according to the prior
references! wow.

Is there a market for that product?

Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 01:21:29 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 18:00:34 -0500, krw wrote:

Poison Ivy is better killed with a "wooded plant" herbicide.

I'd say this poison oak plant I just cut today is pretty "woody"!

That's probably why woody plant herbicide works better. ;-)

See this picture of the urushiol literally dripping out!

Apparently 8 ounces can infect everyone on earth - and - if you look at
this one stem, I'd wager we could get that 8 ounces out of it in an hour!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 01:16:01 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:35:56 -0500, Frank wrote:

Have you tried 2,4D? It works on my poison ivy.

Hi Frank,
2,4D (aka Agent Orange) might work, especially if I could drop it out of
the sky like they did in Vietnam - which - is my real problem with weed
killers.

The poison oak plants I have are 20 feet long by something like 5 to 10
to 20 feet deep, so, there's just no way a normal weed killer sprayer is
going to go the distance.

Today I tried to see if I could get my pressure washer to suck out of the
5 gallon pesticide jug - but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Does anyone know how to get a pressure washer to spray the stuff?

Put it in the pressure washer's soap tank? Do any pressure washers
suck up the "soap" when they're running at pressure? Every one I've
seen will only draw from the tank when it's running very low pressure
(won't spray very far). OTOH, they do sell 20' extensions for
pressure sprayers.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 19:02:19 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 21:35:18 -0500, Nil

God, what a nightmare. I get an allergic reaction to poison ivy just
looking at it. Even looking at your pictures gives me itchy blisters.

Those things look malevolent, like they're aware of and looking to
catch and kill human beings.

Yep. I even break out in hives when work is mentioned. My back starts
hurting if I walk by a ladder. Damnedest thing.

I love work. I can sit around and watch it all day.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 06:15:46 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:01:52 -0800, Pat wrote:

They make cutters that mount on excavators look here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX66xyk0InQ

I WISH I had an excavator/cutter like that one!

There are similar cutters that mount on small tractors, that's how
roadway shoulders are cleared of heavy brush... they're called "flail
mowers". From your pictures it appears one could easily clear your
property down to stumps with a small tractor with a cab (for
protection) and a brush hog... my set up can clear your property an
acre an hour. Once cut treat the stubs with defolient, I'd use a hand
sprayer.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

wrote:

A lot of farmers in this rural community kill poison ivy and poison
sumac by applying a goodly quantity of rock salt at their base

I like the idea of rock salt as it must be cheaper than the $100
containers of weed killer that I'm buying today (2.5 gallons each).
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/11915886.jpg

Hey, I'n going to give the rock salt a try. It's cheaper than diesel
fuel too, and probably is safer for the environment.

I buy water softener salt at Lowe's, 40 pounds/$4... rock salt costs
even less. The salt does no permanent damage and in fact the critters
use it for a salt lick. After about a year the salt dilutes from
precipitation as though you never placed it there.