Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with achainsaw?

This weekend, I needed to remove a poison oak plant along
my property but the plant was too big and too much on a hill
for spraying; so I cut it with an 18" chainsaw and packed
it up for proper disposal.

After just two hours, I was covered in the poison oak oil
(my clothes came out of the wash all streaked black as if
the kids had taken a black marker to them) - but I had to
stop as the two recyling bins were jam packed to the brim.

Since I still have a few more poison oak plants to remove,
I'm wondering if you outdoor experts have a better way than
what I'm doing for removal of a poison oak plant from your
property? (The last picture is of me washing up!)

Here are 19 annotated pictures, taken sequentially.
1. http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912409.jpg
2. http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912411.jpg
3. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912412.jpg
4. http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912413.jpg
5. http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912414.jpg
6. http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912415.jpg
7. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912417.jpg
8. http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912419.jpg
9. http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912420.jpg
10. http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912421.jpg
11. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912422.jpg
12. http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912423.jpg
13. http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912424.jpg
14. http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912425.jpg
15. http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912426.jpg
16. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912427.jpg
17. http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912428.jpg
18. http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912429.jpg
19. http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912430.jpg

I didn't measure it, but this one plant is about 20 feet long
(or so), by about 20 feet deep down a hill - but I only removed
about 5 feet along the curb as I ran out of room in the bins.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Jan 8, 2:31*am, "Danny D." wrote:
...snip...
Since I still have a few more poison oak plants to remove,
I'm wondering if you outdoor experts have a better way than
what I'm doing for removal of a poison oak plant from your
property? (The last picture is of me washing up!)

In California wilds, goats that preferentially ATE poison oak were
used to 'maintain' the landscape. Goats were happy. People were happy.
Now THAT is recycling!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Danny,

Are controlled burns allowed in your area? Remember that uroshiol will
evaporate so you'll need full face protection and breathing apparatus. Stay
upwind, too.

Dave M.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

That looks like an incredible lot of work, and a risk of some wicked
allergic reaction. I've not yet reacted to poison ivy, but know friends who
are super sensetive.

With poison ivy, I'm told not to burn it, as the fire releases the poison
into the air, and anyone down wind will have allergic reaction. Not sure
about poison oak.

You have courage, and a lot of hard work. And, you have my respect. Wonder
if the local municipality has chipper shredders to do this job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Old 08-01-2013, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Brilliant idea, just stay away from the poison oak
goat turds?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Old 08-01-2013, 03:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Jan 8, 1:31*am, "Danny D." wrote:
[...]

Brush cutter / mower.. (rotary lawn mower on steroids)
http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?Name=fab-sp-pro1
http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipm...067&catid=s446

Make sure the unit is powerful enough to handle the material size.
A large mower will chop material so disposal is at higher density or
chopped material could be left on ground.
Cutting path across hill face much faster than a chain saw.

Be prepared to follow up with the proper herbicide at the correct time
in the plant's yearly cycle.
True eradication is not a "one time" effort.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

"David L. Martel" wrote:

Are controlled burns allowed in your area?

Burning is the worst of all possible methods for poison oak
eradication.... using a defoliant is about the surest and easiest
method.
http://voices.yahoo.com/remove-poiso...s-3296890.html

Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Brush cutter / mower.. (rotary lawn mower on steroids)http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?...itemid=0700067...

Make sure the unit is powerful enough to handle the material size.
A large mower will chop material so disposal is at higher density or
chopped material could be left on ground.
Cutting path across hill face much faster than a chain saw.

Be prepared to follow up with the proper herbicide at the correct time
in the plant's yearly cycle.
True eradication is not a "one time" effort.

Geez if access to this area is limited just cut all the plants at the
base with a loping cutter, mark each location by driving a stake in
the spot.....

then when it begins to regrow, herbicide it heavily.

i had great success on poision ivy by mixing 50% roundup with 50%
poision ivy killer... they wilted by the next morning and just died...
either seperately was not effective

do not chip or BURN !! Burning smoke will give anyone in area poision
whatever in the lungs! can be life threatening!!

why work hard if you can work easy? the dead plants will eventually
rot, but will be a itch hazard till they have rotted away...

but the OP will have a much easier job
Old 08-01-2013, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:30:23 -0500, David L. Martel wrote:

Are controlled burns allowed in your area?
Remember that uroshiol will evaporate
so you'll need full face protection and breathing apparatus.

Hi David,

No burns allowed.
Plus, the smoke could kill my neighbors.

This is California in a high fire hazard high smog zone.
It's my understanding we can't even use a wood-burning fireplace
for half the year, but that's for smog reasons. So burning is out.

But chain sawing wasn't all that great either.
The chain saw splattered urushiol all over the place.
My hair was covered in wood chips, as was my face.
The rest of my body was covered, except at the wrists and
ankles and lower back (my shirt kept pulling up and the tangly
vines would lightly smack me in the back as I pulled on them).

I didn't want to use a chain saw, but I would have been
there forever had I used clippers - and I've been spraying
it for years - it's just too large for spraying.

Clippers would (eventually work), but even clippers won't cut
the 5-inch thick vines anyway - and simply pulling was
crazy (I tried that first) because all the vines are
intertwined.

I once rented a cultivator and tried to push my way through,
but the vines simply fouled the cultivator blades, and the
hardest part was unwrapping them without getting the
urushiol all over my hands (an almost impossible task).

And, now I have the problem with getting rid of it.
I labeled the bins, so I hope they take them on trash day.

So that's why I ask.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/01/2013 09:31, Danny D. wrote:
This weekend, I needed to remove a poison oak plant along
my property but the plant was too big and too much on a hill
for spraying; so I cut it with an 18" chainsaw and packed
it up for proper disposal.

After just two hours, I was covered in the poison oak oil
(my clothes came out of the wash all streaked black as if
the kids had taken a black marker to them) - but I had to
stop as the two recyling bins were jam packed to the brim.

Since I still have a few more poison oak plants to remove,
I'm wondering if you outdoor experts have a better way than
what I'm doing for removal of a poison oak plant from your
property? (The last picture is of me washing up!)

We are very fortunate here in the UK to not have anything remotely as
bad as poison oak/ivy. I wondered, though, if you could find the main
trunk(s), would it be possible to pull it out with a chain attached to a
truck (winch or tow it). That would avoid a lot of cutting with a
chainsaw when the plant is alive, and spreading of the poisonous sap.

--

Jeff

Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:31:31 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

This weekend, I needed to remove a poison oak plant along
my property but the plant was too big and too much on a hill
for spraying; so I cut it with an 18" chainsaw and packed
it up for proper disposal.

After just two hours, I was covered in the poison oak oil
(my clothes came out of the wash all streaked black as if
the kids had taken a black marker to them) - but I had to
stop as the two recyling bins were jam packed to the brim.

Since I still have a few more poison oak plants to remove,
I'm wondering if you outdoor experts have a better way than
what I'm doing for removal of a poison oak plant from your
property? (The last picture is of me washing up!)

I didn't measure it, but this one plant is about 20 feet long
(or so), by about 20 feet deep down a hill - but I only removed
about 5 feet along the curb as I ran out of room in the bins.

I have a problem with multi-flora rose. Giant nasty rose bushes that
dont die from roundup or other herbicides. Although they are not
poisonous, so they could be cut with a chainsaw, but to do so would mean
getting under them, and becomeing all torn up from the thorns. I
designed a chain that has a loop in the end that I lay around the and
hook to my farm tractor. When the tractor moves, the chain tightens
around their base, and they will be ripped out of the ground. Then they
go to my burn pile. However any roots left over will sprout again. But
on the small young ones, roundup works.

I've had some huge ones that would stop my tractor. Either the tires
slip, or the engine kills. I found that the only way to get rid of
those is to burn them. Dump brush and some smaller logs around them,
then a gallon of diesel fuel, and ignite. They do not come back once
they are burned.

The OP said he can not burn the poison oak. How about soaking the base
of them around the roots with diesel fuel. That almost surely will kill
them. Then just let them rot. I dont know how long it takes for that
oil that causes the skin irritation to go away after the plant is dead.
You'd have to do research on that.

Maybe your local County Extension office can help too. They seem to
have info on most local problem plants.

I'm sure someone will state that diesel fuel is harmful to the
environment. Yes it is, but probably does less harm than many of the
commercial chemicals that are used to kill plants and insects.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

wrote:

[...]

A lot of farmers in this rural community kill poison ivy and poison
sumac by applying a goodly quantity of rock salt at their base. The
plant dies and within a year of rain and snow the salt washes away.
I've gotten rid of rugosa rose with water softener salt.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 05:58:45 -0800, Robert Macy wrote:

In California wilds, goats that preferentially ATE poison oak were used
to 'maintain' the landscape.

Friends down the street actually have goats, and they concur.
The key problem for them to lend me the goats is that the land isn't
fenced in.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:51:58 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

a risk of some wicked allergic reaction.

Hi Stormin,

I have a few red bubbly spots on me, but it's not too bad yet.
Mostly it's on my left wrist and right ankle and the back of my neck.
I'm very surprised my eyes don't itch since I kept getting chips caught
in my eye, and my camera & chainsaw have to be covered in urushiol too!

I cleaned the camera with rubbing alcohol (but I'm not sure if that
actually works) - but the strap needs cleaning somehow.

I've not yet reacted to poison ivy, but know friends
who are super sensitive.

I looked it up in gory detail. NOBODY is ever immune.

Eventually everyone gets it (unless they die first). It's like being in
war. Just because the first bullets didn't get you doesn't mean your cell
mediated immune reactions won't at some point kick in and the next one is
the one you regret.

Note: Actually, I'm told people with AIDS don't get it, but that's a
special case.

fire releases the poison into the air

Yes. I know. Inside your body, the immune reaction can kill you.

Wonder if the local municipality has chipper shredders to do this job?

I called the waste company - they just told me they won't take it.
Luckily I have a 4-inch chipper, but it's a royal pain getting anything
down the chute (I'm sorry I bought that loud monstrosity).

Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 07:56:54 -0800, DD_BobK wrote:

Brush cutter / mower.. (rotary lawn mower on steroids)
http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?Name=fab-sp-pro1
http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/equipment.aspx?

itemid=0700067&catid=s446

Those are quite nice!

Cutting path across hill face much faster than a chain saw.

I do agree that a sideswipe along the isocline line of the steep hill is
the way to go because the main roots are six inches thick, and then they
branch out in one and two inch thick trunks.

When I cut a trunk, it feels good because I know I've killed a lot but
the problem is that the plant really fortresses those thick roots.

They're wholly surrounded by the thinner finger-thick and pencil-thick
vines such that you can't get near the main supply line without getting
soaked in urushiol.