GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mint bed in winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/206271-mint-bed-winter.html)

skippysje 27-01-2013 02:08 PM

Mint bed in winter

We moved into our house last April, and there is a mint bed in the garden, I'm very much a newbie when it comes to gardening, so what should I do with the plants in the mint bed now all the leaves have either fallen off or gone brown?

David E. Ross[_2_] 27-01-2013 04:10 PM

Mint bed in winter

On 1/27/13 6:08 AM, skippysje wrote:
We moved into our house last April, and there is a mint bed in the
garden, I'm very much a newbie when it comes to gardening, so what
should I do with the plants in the mint bed now all the leaves have
either fallen off or gone brown?

Unless the soil froze to a depth of several inches, the mint is likely
to come back from its roots.

Note well: Mints of all varieties are very invasive. They can
completely take over your entire garden and your neighbors' gardens too.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

songbird[_2_] 27-01-2013 04:54 PM

Mint bed in winter

skippysje wrote:

We moved into our house last April, and there is a mint bed in the
garden, I'm very much a newbie when it comes to gardening, so what
should I do with the plants in the mint bed now all the leaves have
either fallen off or gone brown?

if you don't like the rugged look you
can trim them off. we use a hedge trimmer
for larger patches of deadheading instead
of using sheers or scissors. it goes much
quicker.

songbird