Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Poppies

I just placed my seed order from Pinetree (superseeds.com) Mostly
vegetables, but a few flowers and herbs too.

In my flower garden I'm going to grow poisonous plants this year for the
foundation; so maybe the rabbits will leave them alone :-) Foxgloves,
nicotiana, and opium poppies. Do I need to plant the poppies as soon as
the ground surface thaws a little? I seem to recall that they need a
few freeze/thaw cycles to germinate well, but that might be a different
kind of poppy. Can they be transplanted?

Bob

Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:27:29 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
I just placed my seed order from Pinetree (superseeds.com) Mostly
vegetables, but a few flowers and herbs too.

In my flower garden I'm going to grow poisonous plants this year for the
foundation; so maybe the rabbits will leave them alone :-) Foxgloves,
nicotiana, and opium poppies. Do I need to plant the poppies as soon as
the ground surface thaws a little? I seem to recall that they need a
few freeze/thaw cycles to germinate well, but that might be a different
kind of poppy. Can they be transplanted?

Not sure where you are in the world, but if you're in the US, please be advised
that opium poppy seeds are legal, but the plants are not. On the theory that
you, too, can prevent lawyers, it may be best to find a different species.
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21...08/1308_12.htm

No poppy really seems to take to transplanting.

Kay
Old 12-02-2013, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

In my flower garden I'm going to grow poisonous plants this year
for the foundation; so maybe the rabbits will leave them alone :-)
Foxgloves, nicotiana, and opium poppies. Do I need to plant the
poppies as soon as the ground surface thaws a little? I seem to
recall that they need a few freeze/thaw cycles to germinate well,
but that might be a different kind of poppy. Can they be
transplanted?

Not sure where you are in the world, but if you're in the US, please
be advised that opium poppy seeds are legal, but the plants are not.
On the theory that you, too, can prevent lawyers, it may be best to
find a different species.
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21...08/1308_12.htm

No poppy really seems to take to transplanting.

Kay

Really? I thought it was only illegal if you extract the sap or tried
to smoke them or something. :-/ Maybe I should plant a different kind
of poppy then; they are all bitter and somewhat poisonous.

When I first moved here there were annual red poppies all over the
place. They looked like Flander's poppies except they were double. Not
sure what happened to them; one year they just didn't come back.

Bob
Old 12-02-2013, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 03:01:05 +0000, Kay Lancaster wrote:

[...]

Unless you are planting a huge field of them without a license, or have
slashed the seed pods for opium in plain view of one and all, law
enforcement is not apt to take notice. Unless of course they are already
arresting you for something else and one of them is aware of what opium
poppies look like.
I usually grow hungarian blue breadseed poppies for the seed.
Technically illegal. Fortunately you don't need to plant a lot of them
to give enough seed for baking for a year. Even if you make Hungarian
goodies that are stuffed with poppy seeds.

I sow them in the fall. I missed last year because I was ill, so DH will
soon be reminded of what the stupid seed costs to buy by the pound.
I suppose I could try stratifying them in the fridge. All I would lose
is a couple pinches of seed if that fails.

The seeds are legal, the flowers are legal, the dried seed pods are legal.
The plants and the straw are illegal.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:57:17 +0000 (UTC), NightMist wrot

The seeds are legal, the flowers are legal, the dried seed pods are legal.
The plants and the straw are illegal.

Quoting from http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21...08/1308_12.htm
previously referenced: (a) Schedule II shall consist of the drugs and
other substances, by whatever official name, common or usual name,
chemical name, or brand name designated, listed in this section. Each
drug or substance has been assigned the Controlled Substances Code
Number set forth opposite it. ... (3) Opium poppy and poppy straw

And if you need mo 21 USC 802:
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/802.htm
(19) The term "opium poppy" means the plant of the species Papaver somniferum L., except the seed thereof.

And for the rest of this argument, I refer you to:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/rec.gardens/2p7eUhmul4A

I repeat, just because you haven't been prosecuted, doesn't mean you
won't be. Depends on the political climate, who you've po'd, whether
someone recognizes what you're growing, and the current state of finances
of the local law enforcement agencies (property seizure laws are commonly
brought into play on drug busts).

Would I chance it? Not on your tintype, and when I worked for a nursery,
that's what I told the owners who had purchased some plants for sale.
Oddly enough, the plants in question all disappeared by the next day
I worked -- I'm guessing they had a chance to talk to their lawyer.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 22:22:48 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
Kay Lancaster wrote:
to smoke them or something. :-/ Maybe I should plant a different kind
of poppy then; they are all bitter and somewhat poisonous.

Nah, the US federal code does a good job of covering it all, leaving an
exception for possessing seeds to cover the culinary uses. The plant
itself, and all parts except for the separated seeds, are considered
Schedule II drugs.

When I first moved here there were annual red poppies all over the
place. They looked like Flander's poppies except they were double. Not
sure what happened to them; one year they just didn't come back.

Poppies in general are very sensitive to 2,4-D and similar auxin
analogs. I'm going to guess it was spray drift or just volatilized
2,4-D that did in your poppies. The good news is that double Shirley
poppies (the double form of corn poppies, the ones mentioned "In Flanders
Fields" are pretty easily available on the seed market. e.g.
https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=161
http://www.territorialseed.com/product/740/139
http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.co...y_shirley.html
http://www.silverfallsseed.com/seed/...ble-Petal.html

The last source is not far from me -- definitely some of the prettier
farms in the area.

Oh yes, the d*** deer that eat just about everything else I plant, don't
bug my P. orientale.

Kay

Old 13-02-2013, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...roups=#!topic/

rec.gardens/2p7eUhmul4A

I repeat, just because you haven't been prosecuted, doesn't mean you
won't be. Depends on the political climate, who you've po'd, whether
someone recognizes what you're growing, and the current state of
finances of the local law enforcement agencies (property seizure laws
are commonly brought into play on drug busts).

Would I chance it? Not on your tintype, and when I worked for a
nursery, that's what I told the owners who had purchased some plants for
sale. Oddly enough, the plants in question all disappeared by the next
day I worked -- I'm guessing they had a chance to talk to their lawyer.

All true enough.
Just because you can buy the cut flowers, and the dried seed pods (craft
stores) it does not mean that they are legal. Just just that that part
of the law is laxly enforced in some places.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old 13-02-2013, 07:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Kay Lancaster wrote:

Poppies in general are very sensitive to 2,4-D and similar auxin
analogs. I'm going to guess it was spray drift or just volatilized
2,4-D that did in your poppies. The good news is that double Shirley
poppies (the double form of corn poppies, the ones mentioned "In Flanders
Fields" are pretty easily available on the seed market.

That could be. My neighbors use *tons* of 2,4-d (I can smell it when I
come home after work if the lawn service truck has been around. They've
even sprayed my garden thru the chain link fence a few times.) I use
tiny amounts of 2,4-d in the front yard only to spot-treat thistles and
dandelions, and I never use it in the back. I weed the back yard by hand.

Anyway, these poppies looked like shirleys but they were all red instead
of mixed colors; frilly with a small black center. The pods were about
the size of a pecan. And the rabbits left them alone.

Bob
Old 13-02-2013, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:
When I first moved here there were annual red poppies all over the
place. They looked like Flander's poppies except they were double. Not
sure what happened to them; one year they just didn't come back.

we have them around in the limestone mulch
each year. no issues other than if we don't
thin them out or try to contain them we'd
be overrun.

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/poppies.jpg

hard to say without knowing the conditions
for the previous season and how they were
treated.

perhaps you mowed them down before the seeds
were ready? do you have any disturbed and
bare soil for the seeds to sprout in? they
don't seem to get going in the fields here
or in the perennial gardens, but they do find
edges and bare spots to use along with the
wide open limestone areas.

we let them go until they are done flowering
and starting to dry up. then when we harvest the
stems there are plenty of seeds blowing around.
when the cooler and wet weather returns in the
fall then they start sprouting and will stay
green through the winter and then bloom the
next summer.

songbird

Old 18-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

These flower are another attractive thing of garden so grow this poppies because these poppies are sweet smell........
Old 25-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
These flower are another attractive thing of garden so grow this poppies because these poppies are sweet smell........

Visit Here...
Shop Fronts
Old 28-02-2013, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Oh all these hysterionics with regard to poppy seeds...how silly.
Seeds do not have opium in them. The opium sap has to be harvested
from the outside of the seed pod at a very specific time with a very
specific method.

People can indeed legally buy the seeds, AND I've seen plants of
Papaver somniferum L. in nurseries. In the US, this is not a law
which is enforced since we do not have a heroine manufacturing
culture. Like everything else, we import our heroine from Afganistan.

Old 28-02-2013, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

..
In the US, this is not a law
which is enforced since we do not have a heroine manufacturing
culture. Like everything else, we import our heroine from Afganistan.

You certainly do have a heroine manufacturing culture though I must admit
the numbers are small compared to the heros. Look at Wonderwoman, Lara
Croft, Pricess Leia, Buffy and Ellen DeGeneres. BTW Kim Kardashian is not
from Afganistan but home grown. There are few imports except perhaps
Hermione Granger and Lucy Lawless.

David

Old 28-02-2013, 07:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
.
In the US, this is not a law
which is enforced since we do not have a heroine manufacturing
culture. Like everything else, we import our heroine from Afganistan.

You certainly do have a heroine manufacturing culture though I must admit
the numbers are small compared to the heros. Look at Wonderwoman, Lara
Croft, Pricess Leia, Buffy and Ellen DeGeneres. BTW Kim Kardashian is not
from Afganistan but home grown. There are few imports except perhaps
Hermione Granger and Lucy Lawless.

LOL. And Mills and Boon novellas are chock full of heroines (and handsome
hunks) and they do sell well in the US of A.

[IMG] code is On

Yellow & Orange Poppies Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:47 AM
Californian Poppies JennyC United Kingdom 2 12-10-2003 06:42 PM
Blue Poppies & Moss Nancy Gardening 0 04-05-2003 06:08 PM
good companion for poppies? Penny S. Gardening 5 10-04-2003 05:08 AM
Poppies from Seed Newbie Gardener United Kingdom 17 08-03-2003 05:44 AM