Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Registered User

Default How can I rejuvenate a privet and hawthorn hedge?

I have a mixed hedge which is about 6 feet high. I think it is privet and hawthorn.

Currently, it is very top heavy in terms of the growth, and it has a lot of bare stems lower down. Please see the photographs.

I want to try and get the hedge to be bushy all the way down to ground level.

I've read about pruning back hard, which I take means to basically chop the whole thing down to within 12" of the floor.

However, I don't know if this is the right thing to do, especially at this time of year (April). There are buds appearing on the hedge, so I don't know if a hard prune down to ground level at this time of year would kill the hedge.

I've got no gardening experience, so I'm nervous at taking such a drastic step.

Please does anyone have any advice.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

[image: http://i.stack.imgur.com/yXDbNl.jpg]

[image: http://i.stack.imgur.com/X4AyNl.jpg]

[image: http://i.stack.imgur.com/Z5tUGl.jpg]

I want to try and get the hedge to be bushy all the way down to ground
level.

I've read about pruning back hard, which I take means to basically chop
the whole thing down to within 12" of the floor.

However, I don't know if this is the right thing to do, especially at
this time of year (April). There are buds appearing on the hedge, so I
don't know if a hard prune down to ground level at this time of year
would kill the hedge.

I've got no gardening experience, so I'm nervous at taking such a
drastic step.

Please does anyone have any advice.

That doesn't look at all like hawthorn, looks like ordinary privet.
Yes it can be chopped practially to the ground, and lop off completely
the older wood.

[IMG] code is On

Help to rejuvenate my poorly lawn Broadback[_3_] United Kingdom 4 27-01-2014 09:33 AM
hawthorn hedge Bob United Kingdom 4 01-05-2004 09:02 AM
Rejuvenate Soil After Cyprus Firs TheScullster United Kingdom 2 01-05-2003 04:56 PM
Rejuvenate Lily? Frank Solis Gardening 2 03-03-2003 03:29 AM
Privet hedge and camoflauge Micko United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 08:19 AM