Old 30-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered User

Default Golden Sunburst Honey locust Tree

Hi guys,

I've just received a Golden Sunburst Honey locust Tree from a mail order business.

It's about 5 and 1/2 foot tall but has no sign of leaves or buds on it. Its just branches. Is this normal? And will it generate leaves througout this spring/summer?

I presume it will but I just wanted to make sure the tree isn't dead...

Thanks
Laurence
Old 30-04-2013, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Biglarry wrote:

I've just received a Golden Sunburst Honey locust Tree from a mail order
business.

It's about 5 and 1/2 foot tall but has no sign of leaves or buds on it.
Its just branches. Is this normal? And will it generate leaves througout
this spring/summer?

I presume it will but I just wanted to make sure the tree isn't dead...

Was it shipped potted or bare root? Mail order nurserys generally
ship trees bare root and before they leaf out... they intend for them
to be planted immediately so the roots can start growing prior to them
leafing out. Plant your locust tree right away and according to the
accompanying directions... be sure about where you plant it as locust
grows quite large and rather fast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_locust
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:27:07 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Biglarry wrote:

I've just received a Golden Sunburst Honey locust Tree from a mail order

business.

It's about 5 and 1/2 foot tall but has no sign of leaves or buds on it.

Its just branches. Is this normal? And will it generate leaves througout

this spring/summer?

I presume it will but I just wanted to make sure the tree isn't dead...

Was it shipped potted or bare root? Mail order nurserys generally

ship trees bare root and before they leaf out... they intend for them

to be planted immediately so the roots can start growing prior to them

leafing out. Plant your locust tree right away and according to the

accompanying directions... be sure about where you plant it as locust

grows quite large and rather fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_locust

Can one ascertain if a tree is alive the same way one can on a smaller plant? Namely, scratch the side to see if it's green? Yes, it is a tree and presumably has bark,but would the idea work? Straight question

Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Biglarry wrote:

[...]

Yes. Similarly if the thin stems are still quite flexible they are probably
alive.