Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered User

Default HELP!-novice gardener in need of advice to clear BRAMBLE ROOTS!

Hi everyone

So I have a major dilemma, last year Me and my partner cleared an area in our back garden( around 20x10ft) that was heavily densed by brambles and other forestry shrubs. We cleared it by hand as it was so thick and is also on a steep bank.

Since then the brambles have grown back, so we bought super weed killer from our local farm store and it had two doses lasts year (very strong doses I might add). So left it over winter and there coming up again! I've sprayed AGAIN but I don't hold out much hope.

The roots are so established underneath the soil I think it needs rotivating. Is this the right plan of action? There are some biggish stones under the soil too. I did think about doing it by hand but the trees behind our patch have blooming roots that come through onto our soil?!?!?

PLEASE HELP! Any advice would be appreciated greatly!!!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Danniexxx writes:

[...]

To get good advice you need to provide good information.

"super weed killer" is NOT good information.
Brand name or words like Glycophosophate 41% are good information.

Roundup (glycophosphate) should do the job.
Apply to leaves while the plant is growing.
You may need to do this more than once.
The entire plant including the roots will be killed.

--
Dan Espen
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Danniexxx wrote:
[...]

What do you eventually want to grow there? All those roots are holding
the soil from washing away; you don't really want to pull them out, you
just think you do. You want to kill them, and replace them with some
deep-rooted grass or something to hold the soil when the bramble roots
eventually rot. Or else you need to terrace that area.

What exactly did you spray them with? Glyphosate (Round-up) might work,
but something with Triclopyr (like Garlon, or Ortho brush killer) would
be better. Glyphosate will also kill the grass, Triclopyr or 2,4-d will
not. If you use 2,4-d please just spot-treat with it and don't spray
the whole area.

There's an old product called "Ammate X" that works good on brush, and I
think it breaks down into nontoxic nitrogen compounds that are actually
good for the soil. I don't know if it's still available.

Bob

Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Registered User

Hmmm.. I'malso having bramble root trouble!! I pulled mine up several times over the last couple of years but they keep coming back coz their roots are coming from under next doors fence I would try some weed killer like people above have suggested but I have pet rabbits and don't want top poison them!
The other weeds I have trouble with are that horrid long grass with creeping roots (couch grass?) and something that sends runners and has strawberryish leavesbutnifruits or flowers. These two just spread around my gardenfaster than I can pull them out!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Espen[_2_] View Post
Danniexxx
To get good advice you need to provide good information.

"super weed killer" is NOT good information.
Brand name or words like Glycophosophate 41% are good information.

Roundup (glycophosphate) should do the job.
Apply to leaves while the plant is growing.
You may need to do this more than once.
The entire plant including the roots will be killed.

--
Dan Espen

Alright patronising 'QUOTE-NOVICE GARDENER!'

My weed killer wasn't to hand in my living room....

Glyphosate. Does not have a % on it. The make is asteriod biocare. Apparently the same as roundup but a stronger version according to the shop assistant. As mentioned I have applied a more than strong enough solution for the 3rd time in a year.

Thanks to all that gave a non patronising reply, would only like them to provide helpful information from now on.

Thanks
Old 15-05-2013, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Danniexxx wrote:

[...]

I had the same problem on a 30+ degree slope. I pulled, and pulled as
needed. It took a few years, but the survivors were dramatically fewer
each year. The slope has been clear of brambles for 30 years now, and I
have lately wondered if I shouldn't replant some, because I love
blackberry cobblers. If you can't pull the weeds yourself, find a
gardener, or some day laborers to come round to service your hillside.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.