Old 09-05-2013, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default fairly new to roses - what are these yellow spots?

http://s9.postimg.org/7xum08afz/rose_spots.jpg

I planted 6 rose plants almost a month ago, and all of them seem to
be growing fairly well.

However, 1 of the plants has yellow spots on it. Most of them are on
the lowest leaves, but I believe there are also a few of these on 1 or 2
of the newest leaves.

Is this some disease that I need to be worried about?

Thanks,

Dayton, Ohio

Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/8/13 3:54 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
http://s9.postimg.org/7xum08afz/rose_spots.jpg

I planted 6 rose plants almost a month ago, and all of them seem to
be growing fairly well.

However, 1 of the plants has yellow spots on it. Most of them are on
the lowest leaves, but I believe there are also a few of these on 1 or 2
of the newest leaves.

Is this some disease that I need to be worried about?

Thanks,

Dayton, Ohio

Look at the undersides of the leaves.

If you see white fuzz, then it is mildew. If you see orange blisters
that have opened, then it is rust. Both can be treated with a
commercial fungicide spray. Mix a little liquid soap into the spray;
otherwise, the solution will bead and not wet the infected parts of the
leaves.

If you see neither white fuzz or orange blisters, then the problem is a
lack of one or more nutrients. Blotchy yellowing often means a lack of
iron or zinc in the soil. Iron sulfate is easy to find at most
nurseries and many hardware stores; use 2-3 tablespoons. Zinc sulfate
might be more difficult to find, and roses are usually not sensitive to
a lack of zinc. So try the iron first.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ohioguy wrote:

http://s9.postimg.org/7xum08afz/rose_spots.jpg

I planted 6 rose plants almost a month ago, and all of them seem to
be growing fairly well.

However, 1 of the plants has yellow spots on it. Most of them are on
the lowest leaves, but I believe there are also a few of these on 1 or 2
of the newest leaves.

Is this some disease that I need to be worried about?

Those yellow splotches look like the leaves were splashed with
fertilizer, or some kind of chemical... could even be overspray,
perhaps from a neighbor.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

If you see neither white fuzz or orange blisters, then the problem is a
lack of one or more nutrients.

This is the case with mine - no fuzz or blisters of any kind. It is
just sort of like the chlorophyll is missing from defined areas of
particular leaves. It is mostly the first leaves that opened that are
affected, but there is 1 leaf that is newly opened that also has this.

The rest of the leaves seem to be a normal green color. Does this
sort of thing ever just happen from shipping/transplant damage?

I'll see if I can find something with some iron to help green up the
leaves. Later on, I'll be adding some horse manure around the plants.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 8, 6:07*pm, Ohioguy wrote:
If you see neither white fuzz or orange blisters, then the problem is a
lack of one or more nutrients.

* *This is the case with mine - no fuzz or blisters of any kind. *It is
just sort of like the chlorophyll is missing from defined areas of
particular leaves. *It is mostly the first leaves that opened that are
affected, but there is 1 leaf that is newly opened that also has this.

* *The rest of the leaves seem to be a normal green color. *Does this
sort of thing ever just happen from shipping/transplant damage?

* *I'll see if I can find something with some iron to help green up the
leaves. *Later on, I'll be adding some horse manure around the plants.

It is a virus.
Google: rose mosaic virus photo

see if it looks familiar!

Emilie
Old 21-05-2016, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

replying to Brooklyn1, CrazyGardeningFool wrote:
It is a virus, but will probably not be fatal like some viruses.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/garden/...ts-103356-.htm