Old 09-05-2013, 08:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Default Need a better way to prune the tops of a thick oleander bush

Trimming question ...

I made a mistake buying the Echo HC-150 20-inch hedge trimmer:

The trimmer is (way) too small to make the tops flat of my
Oleander bush.

I can't get the 20-inch blade across the top, while standing on
a step ladder, from the one side. The problem is that the other
side is wholly inaccessible to a ladder, so I can only trim the
top of the bush from one side.

The Oleander bush is something like five or six feet across,
and something like nine or ten feet tall, for something like
a few hundred feet along a cliff-like extremely steep hill.

I can easily climb up on a step ladder to cut the side, but,
I can only lean over about three or four feet across the top
with the puny 20-inch 21.2cc hedge trimmer - and even that is
risky because one fall could be dangerous with a hedge trimmer
(I've already sliced my thigh with the thing in the past).

So, I'm mostly asking if there are better ideas for how to
cut the top of a tall and thick Oleander bush when you can only
access it from one side, and when your trimmer is 20 inches
while the bush width is at least three times that.

Any helpful suggestions?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Thu, 9 May 2013 19:12:48 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

[...]

- garden pruning sheers

- pruning loppers

- machete

- 4X4 truck w/ nylon strap
Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

[...]

fergot one..

-mexicansg

Old 09-05-2013, 10:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Thu, 9 May 2013 16:38:23 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

[...]

a.k.a. "mexican" drag line and backhoe = shovel
Old 10-05-2013, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Danny D wrote:
[...]

Long handled loppers are made with telescopic stems about 3 m long. They
can cut quite thick branches if it is green and soft.

David

Old 10-05-2013, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12891035.jpg

*http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12891079.jpg

The Oleander bush is something like five or six feet across,
and something like nine or ten feet tall, for something like
a few hundred feet along a cliff-like extremely steep hill.

I can easily climb up on a step ladder to cut the side, but,
I can only lean over about three or four feet across the top
with the puny 20-inch 21.2cc hedge trimmer - and even that is
risky because one fall could be dangerous with a hedge trimmer
(I've already sliced my thigh with the thing in the past).

So, I'm mostly asking if there are better ideas for how to
cut the top of a tall and thick Oleander bush when you can only
access it from one side, and when your trimmer is 20 inches
while the bush width is at least three times that.
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12891105.jpg

Any helpful suggestions?

Following the philosophy of 'using what you have' I used a set of nail
nippers. They go straight down to the cut, are fairly strong, BUT only
one branch at a time. At least you only have to do the 'husky'
trimming once. After that the puny trimmer should work. right?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On 5/9/13 12:12 PM, Danny D wrote:
[...]

Oleander is really not suited for trimming as a formal hedge with a flat
top and flat sides. It grows too fast. You would need to trim it
monthly.

If you think the hedge is overgrown, use a pruning saw to cut each plant
down to about 20 inches from the ground. Within a few months, it will
again be a hedge.

However, if you are in southern California, forget it. Oleanders are
dying from a blight for which there is no cure. See
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7480.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 10-05-2013, 04:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Thu, 09 May 2013 17:51:39 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:

If you think the hedge is overgrown, use a pruning saw to cut each plant
down to about 20 inches from the ground. Within a few months, it will
again be a hedge.

My wife loves the white flowers but it's crowding the driveway so I
have to lop off a foot or more to trim it back on the sides.

On the top, I just want it to look neat'ish.

The flowers are just starting.
Is now a 'good' time of year to trim them?

Old 10-05-2013, 05:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On 5/9/13 8:34 PM, Danny D wrote:
On Thu, 09 May 2013 17:51:39 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:

If you think the hedge is overgrown, use a pruning saw to cut each plant
down to about 20 inches from the ground. Within a few months, it will
again be a hedge.

My wife loves the white flowers but it's crowding the driveway so I
have to lop off a foot or more to trim it back on the sides.

On the top, I just want it to look neat'ish.

The flowers are just starting.
Is now a 'good' time of year to trim them?

It will not bloom continuously all summer. Wait until it stops blooming
before cutting it.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On 5/9/2013 2:12 PM, Danny D wrote:
[...]

10kw LASER should do it, just be careful what's on the other side. ^_^

TDD

Old 10-05-2013, 05:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Automatic Shotgun with the 100 round drum.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Fri, 10 May 2013 04:22:42 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

10kw LASER should do it, just be careful what's on the other side. ^_^

I like the idea of a laser hedge trimmer, but I was really thinking
more along the lines of some kind of mechanical extension to my
puny 20 inch blades!

Old 10-05-2013, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On May 10, 11:38*am, Danny D wrote:
On Fri, 10 May 2013 04:22:42 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:
10kw LASER should do it, just be careful what's on the other side. ^_^

I like the idea of a laser hedge trimmer, but I was really thinking
more along the lines of some kind of mechanical extension to my
puny 20 inch blades!

PUT A HEDGE TRIMMER ON A PVC PIPE EXTENSION - It doesn't get any
wimpler than that.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Fri, 10 May 2013 16:38:10 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

more along the lines of some kind of mechanical extension to my
puny 20 inch blades!

Use those leftover pool poles........
Old 10-05-2013, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Danny D writes:

On Fri, 10 May 2013 04:22:42 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

10kw LASER should do it, just be careful what's on the other side. ^_^

I like the idea of a laser hedge trimmer, but I was really thinking
more along the lines of some kind of mechanical extension to my
puny 20 inch blades!

Try:

"long reach hedge pole trimmer".

Lots of hits.