Old 23-05-2013, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Centipedes -- god awful smell?

Pretty sure I've finally solved this mystery and looking for confirmation -- a horrible smell in my house, only in spring/summer and especially when the soil is wet. I live near a woodland area.

So, last year I concluded it was the soil because I could smell it gardening.

Than, last week, I was in the shower and there was a centipede on the tub floor about 2" long and black in color.

Stepped on it and holy crap -- that odor hit me and strong.

Found another the other day -- put it in a glass and immediately smelled the same thing.

Anyone else? And is the most putrid odor or what?
Old 23-05-2013, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:00:29 PM UTC-4, mkr5000 wrote:
Pretty sure I've finally solved this mystery and looking for confirmation -- a horrible smell in my house, only in spring/summer and especially when the soil is wet. I live near a woodland area.

So, last year I concluded it was the soil because I could smell it gardening.

Than, last week, I was in the shower and there was a centipede on the tub floor about 2" long and black in color.

Stepped on it and holy crap -- that odor hit me and strong.

Found another the other day -- put it in a glass and immediately smelled the same thing.

Anyone else? And is the most putrid odor or what?

starting to think these may be millipedes ?

small diameter, about 2" long dark brown or black (can't tell).

live in midwest.
Old 23-05-2013, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/23/2013 12:10 PM, mkr5000 wrote:
On Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:00:29 PM UTC-4, mkr5000 wrote:
Pretty sure I've finally solved this mystery and looking for confirmation -- a horrible smell in my house, only in spring/summer and especially when the soil is wet. I live near a woodland area.

So, last year I concluded it was the soil because I could smell it gardening.

Than, last week, I was in the shower and there was a centipede on the tub floor about 2" long and black in color.

Stepped on it and holy crap -- that odor hit me and strong.

Found another the other day -- put it in a glass and immediately smelled the same thing.

Anyone else? And is the most putrid odor or what?

starting to think these may be millipedes ?

small diameter, about 2" long dark brown or black (can't tell).

live in midwest.

Got me interested:

http://apps.caes.uga.edu/urbanag/Hom...m?storyid=2529

Here it is stink bugs. If you don't have in your area yet, you will
Old 24-05-2013, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:38:29 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
[...]

Great link -- definitely millipedes -- and you should smell these *******s.
Related to Lobster?

Get out. lol