GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Maple tree leaf problems (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/207256-maple-tree-leaf-problems.html)

DirtBag 26-05-2013 04:05 PM

Maple tree leaf problems

Hi,

I've uploaded some images of some tree leaf problems I've got on two of
my maples. Before I call the arborist, might someone give me some
advice?

I've seen this before, but not all over the tree(s).

location, middle indiana.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/re...media/DSC00168
_zpse84c90d5.jpg.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/os8l22b

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/re...media/DSC00169
_zps1137e335.jpg.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/pkoggm5

Thanks!

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 28-05-2013 12:41 PM

Maple tree leaf problems

DirtBag said:

Hi,

I've uploaded some images of some tree leaf problems I've got on two of
my maples. Before I call the arborist, might someone give me some
advice?

I've seen this before, but not all over the tree(s).

location, middle indiana.

http://tinyurl.com/os8l22b

http://tinyurl.com/pkoggm5

I think it is Maple anthracnose. Normally this is a minor problem. It can
weaken trees that are repeatedly and excessively defoliated.

The best bet might be to call an arborist and arrange for some canopy
thinning next year. If the infection is really extensive, they might also
suggest late winter/early spring preventative fungicide application(s).
(Fungicide treatment now would be pointless.)

Otherwise, the treatment is good hygiene (clean up and discard fallen
leaves--don't mulch or compost them) and maintaining an adequate water
supply during periods of drought.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...414anthracnose
maple.html
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

brooklyn1 28-05-2013 11:05 PM

Maple tree leaf problems

On Tue, 28 May 2013 07:41:15 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

DirtBag said:

Hi,

I've uploaded some images of some tree leaf problems I've got on two of
my maples. Before I call the arborist, might someone give me some
advice?

I've seen this before, but not all over the tree(s).

location, middle indiana.

http://tinyurl.com/os8l22b

http://tinyurl.com/pkoggm5

I think it is Maple anthracnose.

I think that's silver maple... get rid of that crappy weed.

DirtBag 02-06-2013 12:03 AM

Maple tree leaf problems

Pat Kiewicz said

DirtBag said:

[...]

Thanks, our arborist confirmed your suspicion. He was not really
concerned - focusing on removal of the dead leaves. I guess this year no
leaves for mulching. I have two such Maples - in both front and back
yards - so keeping them all (healthy/sick) separate is not possible.
Sad, I really like mulching the leaves.