GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hawthorn Summer Transplant Success Rate? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/207353-hawthorn-summer-transplant-success-rate.html)

ian.barton1990 06-06-2013 06:26 PM

Hawthorn Summer Transplant Success Rate?

Hi,

I have 4 relatively young hawthorn plants, anyway I had to transplant them Winter 2013 to my new house and I had them planted in my front garden. They were doing fine and were going lots and lots of new green growth. Then my landlord decided I had a week to remove them.

Anyway I removed them from the ground the best I could and put the largest in 80L bags filled with compost and then with wood chippings on top to try and keep moisture levels high. I watered them liberally until there was a noticeable amount of water on top and allowed the water to soak through.

I know that in a perfect world I would've been able to wait until dormancy, but I was just wondering what the success rates of these particular plants surviving and thriving actually are? And whether or not there is anything I could do to increase the chances of survival?

Regards
Ian