Old 14-06-2013, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ground cover toughest, flattest?

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.

Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the practicalities over-ride.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB
Old 14-06-2013, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:40:51 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.

Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the practicalities over-ride.

Flagstone is attractive and requires no maintenence. Pebbles/gravel
is ugly, screams CHEAP, and you'll forever be retrieving migrating
stones.
Old 14-06-2013, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.

Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the practicalities over-ride.

Flagstone is attractive and requires no maintenence. Pebbles/gravel

is ugly, screams CHEAP, and you'll forever be retrieving migrating

stones.

Yes, been there, done that on another path.

Flagstone very tempting but expensive for a small, out-of-the-way area rarely used.

Was also thinking round (or preferably hexagonal) stepping stones, but have to deal with area in between and around. I know there exist plants sold specifically to fill the cracks between stepping/flagstones. First need to check if local place has broken pieces cheaper.

Tx for suggestion.

HB

Old 14-06-2013, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 14/06/2013 18:40, Higgs Boson wrote:
I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.

Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the practicalities over-ride.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Bit puzzled why it needs to be very tough if it is very rarely used.

I don't know if it is called the same thing in the USA but what about
wooden decking?

--

Jeff
Old 14-06-2013, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, June 14, 2013 2:19:19 PM UTC-7, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/06/2013 18:40, Higgs Boson wrote:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.

Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the practicalities over-ride.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Bit puzzled why it needs to be very tough if it is very rarely used.

I don't know if it is called the same thing in the USA but what about

wooden decking?

Needs to be "tough" because I don't want to be bothered watering & mowing.
I just want it to stay down there and keep the mud/dirt under control.

Area much too small for wooden decking, but thanx for suggestion.

Am zig-zagging back & forth in my so-called mind. As mentioned earlier, considering pieces of broken flagstone (if local place has them) with those tiny plants used in interstices of flagstones/pavers, etc.

Will look on-line for those "tiny plants", but if any come to mind, would appreciate the URL.

TIA

HB

--

Jeff

Old 15-06-2013, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:
I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate
which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path,
up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied
with either.

So you're looking for non-plant material? If you end up with
spaces between stones or some such, you might consider wooly
thyme. It's very low to the ground, has cute pink flowers, and
can take some foot traffic.

Patty

Old 15-06-2013, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/14/13 10:40 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.

Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the practicalities over-ride.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Cinquefoil (Potentilla neumanniana, also known as P. verna).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 15-06-2013, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson writes:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate
which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the
path, up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.

Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and
is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the
practicalities over-ride.

This is So. Calif coastal.

Don't know what grows there.
Here in NJ we'd plant Pachysandra (about 6") or
Vinca (about 4").

They keep most other plants out without any work to speak of.

--
Dan Espen
Old 15-06-2013, 09:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, June 14, 2013 5:27:13 PM UTC-7, mlcwa wrote:
Higgs Boson writes:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate

which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the

path, up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.

Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and

is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the

practicalities over-ride.

This is So. Calif coastal.

Don't know what grows there.

Here in NJ we'd plant Pachysandra (about 6") or

Vinca (about 4").

They keep most other plants out without any work to speak of.

Thanks to all for suggestions. Thyme is recommended on many Web sites. I will also look at cinquefoil. Dan, the ones you suggested are too tall; I need something really, really flat, but thanks a bunch.

HB

Old 15-06-2013, 09:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, June 14, 2013 5:12:23 PM UTC-7, Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,

Higgs Boson wrote:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate

which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path,

up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied

with either.

So you're looking for non-plant material? If you end up with

spaces between stones or some such, you might consider wooly

thyme. It's very low to the ground, has cute pink flowers, and

can take some foot traffic.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm NOT looking for "non-plant" material. Thyme sounds good.

HB

Old 15-06-2013, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson writes:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate
which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the
path, up against a neighbor fence.

Without knowing the square footage no one can offer more than wild
speculation... "short" and "small" are meaningless drivel.
Old 15-06-2013, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:48:03 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Higgs Boson writes:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate

which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the

path, up against a neighbor fence.

Without knowing the square footage no one can offer more than wild

speculation... "short" and "small" are meaningless drivel.

Yo, Brooklyn, ease off with the "meaningless drivel" g.

I went to our nabe stone yard today and was glad to see that they have broken flagstone for reasonable $. I am going to draw a map for the sales person; in the process I will have square footage for thee.

Now have a nice Father's Day (if applicable).

HB

Old 16-06-2013, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson writes:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate

which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the
path, up against a neighbor fence.

Without knowing the square footage no one can offer more than wild
speculation... "short" and "small" are meaningless drivel.

Yo, Brooklyn, ease off with the "meaningless drivel" g.

I went to our nabe stone yard today and was glad to see that they have broken flagstone for reasonable $.

I knew flagstone was reasonably priced when I originally suggested
it... and it needn't be fancy schmancy stone for a rarely used path...
and all flagstone is broken, that's what flagstone is, only some
idiots decided it looks better diamond sawed all the same size/shape.
I think flagstone looks nicer in its natural state, random
configuration.
http://geology.about.com/od/mineral_...-Come-From.htm
Old 17-06-2013, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson writes:

[...]

Great site, thanks! I think the broken flagstone is going to be my solution.
I just hope, at $20/SF, it doesn't add up too much. The lady that showed me to the stuff reminded me to have the yard guy pick out nice pieces. Rather than just measure, I'll print out a pic on my color printer and show to yard guy.

Now to price creeping Thyme or similar.g

HB