GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tall ganglyplant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/207521-sudden-infestation-yellow-flowered-low-leaved-tall-ganglyplant.html)

Danny D.[_5_] 23-06-2013 09:17 PM

Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tall ganglyplant

Anyone ever had an infestation of acres of these yellow plants?

They seem to be taking over my otherwise barren dry hillsides:

The plant has a strange-looking stalk:

And very low-lying leaves:

The climate is San Francisco bay area, very dry, poor Franciscan
sediment soil, and lots and lots and lots of sunlight.

Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl 23-06-2013 11:43 PM

On 6/23/2013 3:17 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Anyone ever had an infestation of acres of these yellow plants?

They seem to be taking over my otherwise barren dry hillsides:

The plant has a strange-looking stalk:

And very low-lying leaves:

The climate is San Francisco bay area, very dry, poor Franciscan
sediment soil, and lots and lots and lots of sunlight.

At first I thought it was kin to mustard, but then I got to searching
and it kind of looks like this: Broom Snakeweed

https://www.google.com/search?q=Broo...iw=920&bih=539

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

David E. Ross[_2_] 24-06-2013 12:01 AM

On 6/23/13 1:17 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Anyone ever had an infestation of acres of these yellow plants?

They seem to be taking over my otherwise barren dry hillsides:

The plant has a strange-looking stalk:

And very low-lying leaves:

The climate is San Francisco bay area, very dry, poor Franciscan
sediment soil, and lots and lots and lots of sunlight.

It looks like mustard to me. Wild mustard is found extensively in
California, turning the hills near my house bright yellow in the spring.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

The Daring Dufas[_3_] 24-06-2013 12:29 AM

On 6/23/2013 6:01 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 6/23/13 1:17 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Anyone ever had an infestation of acres of these yellow plants?

They seem to be taking over my otherwise barren dry hillsides:

The plant has a strange-looking stalk:

And very low-lying leaves:

The climate is San Francisco bay area, very dry, poor Franciscan
sediment soil, and lots and lots and lots of sunlight.

It looks like mustard to me. Wild mustard is found extensively in
California, turning the hills near my house bright yellow in the spring.

You better watch out for deranged wild ketchup plants too! o_O

TDD

dpb[_2_] 24-06-2013 12:32 AM

Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tallgangly plant

On 6/23/2013 6:01 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

It looks like mustard to me. Wild mustard is found extensively in
California, turning the hills near my house bright yellow in the spring.

Not at all like what we know of as wild mustard, anyways...

Oren[_2_] 24-06-2013 01:04 AM

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 18:32:24 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/23/2013 6:01 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

It looks like mustard to me. Wild mustard is found extensively in
California, turning the hills near my house bright yellow in the spring.

Not at all like what we know of as wild mustard, anyways...

_Poke Salad_

Seems there was a song about "Poke Salad Annie".

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1643,150172-233192,00.html

You have to be taught how to select parts of the plant; otherwise it
can poison you?

Oren[_2_] 24-06-2013 01:11 AM

Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tall gangly plant

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 18:29:53 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

You better watch out for deranged wild ketchup plants too! o_O

TDD

Watch out for the Sheep Eating plant.

Flesh-Eating Plant Blooms In Britain

http://guardianlv.com/2013/06/flesh-eating-plant-blooms-in-britain-sheep-beware-video/?shared=email&msg=fail

Frank 24-06-2013 01:23 AM

http://tigerboi90.deviantart.com/art...otted-92913372

mleblanca 24-06-2013 02:15 AM

Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tallgangly plant

It looks very much like a member of the mustard family.
Maybe Wintercress aka Barbarea.
Count the petals on the flower.
If there are Four petals on each flower, it is a mustard.

Emilie
NorCal

DerbyDad03 24-06-2013 03:08 AM

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-tqwu...%3D-tqwujhUBZg

The Daring Dufas[_3_] 24-06-2013 03:52 AM

wrote:

You better watch out for deranged wild ketchup plants too! o_O

TDD

Watch out for the Sheep Eating plant.

Flesh-Eating Plant Blooms In Britain

http://guardianlv.com/2013/06/flesh-eating-plant-blooms-in-britain-sheep-beware-video/?shared=email&msg=fail

I came across another video from your link that made me laugh. A girl
get her butt eaten by a motorcycle. OMG, it made me laugh because I've
been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and the young gal should
be glad that all she got was a red ass. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VezJyLR-r-4

TDD

Oren[_2_] 24-06-2013 04:06 AM

Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tall gangly plant

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 02:08:04 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Seems there was a song about "Poke Salad Annie".

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-tqwu...%3D-tqwujhUBZg

Hmm,your Mobile link doesn't work for me. The "m" in the link makes it
hang up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRF24LY5pvw&list=PL72987409015267E5

We called it "poke" vs "polk".

like a poke sack

DerbyDad03 24-06-2013 04:13 AM

wrote:

Seems there was a song about "Poke Salad Annie".

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-tqwu...%3D-tqwujhUBZg

Hmm,your Mobile link doesn't work for me. The "m" in the link makes it
hang up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRF24LY5pvw&list=PL72987409015267E5

We called it "poke" vs "polk".

like a poke sack

And on my mobile device the link you posted returns a message that says
"The content owner has not made this video available on mobile"

I guess we're pretty much even. ;-)

Danny D.[_5_] 24-06-2013 06:17 AM

Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tallganglyplant

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 21:15:27 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Wild mustard.

I just got home and saw those pictures of the 4-petaled mustard
plants in the San Francisco bay area. Those pictures are much
more lush than mine - but I'll try to snap a closeup of the flower
in the morning and compare.

I'll report back what I find in comparison to the net on the
"wild mustard".

BTW, if it is wild mustard, might I be able to make mustard out of it?
(I'll check - but I figured I'd ask also.)