Old 26-06-2013, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Default What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigation setup?

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:39:07 -0700, Oren wrote:

I put in my front yard (desert) a manifold. Tubes run from it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HoeIZg0eL.jpg

BTW. If you cut that PVC elbow / insert fitting off at the pipe (save
as much pipe as you can) then use an 8 port manifold; would give you
8 drip lines in the small space. Make the runs as long as you like.

Look in a real local garden / nursery center and how it fits the pipe.
Old 26-06-2013, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:36:46 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:44:12 -0700, Oren wrote:

Put a short piece (12" of so) of old poly in the insert and use the
tape or "figure 8" until you get ready for new poly. Remove it for
the new poly. That will stop the flooding for now.

Hi Oren,

Ah, that's a good idea (I already have the raw materials for that!).

As for a more permanent fix, what do you think about me putting
one of these 3/4" slip-to-MHT (male hose thread?) fittings directly
onto the white-and-green part sticking out of the existing PVC elbow?

That seems to be a looser fit than a normal PVC pipe dry fit; but
with lots of "glue", I think it might work.

Is it possible to pry out that green endcap & just place the slip
fitting over the remaining white part? (Or do I need to cut off
the entire elbow and start again with the slip:slip coupling)?

See my post on a drip line manifold (2).
Old 26-06-2013, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:02:10 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:18:43 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

I suggest you stop buying stuff and sit down and plan what
you want to do and then buy what you need.

Just wait until we get into "trade sizes" for O-rings. It gets better
or worse, I forget.

This sounds reasonable.

Part of the problem is that the wife took over my kitchen-compost spot,
so now, she "owns" this garden (and she has forbidden me to enter
it because she feels I end up ruining everything I touch).

At the moment, I've flooded her tomatoes, and, I've tried to save
all the tiny 6-inch oaks which, in the end, infuriated her because
that meant I ended up digging up more of her young tomatoes.

I've never done "drip" irrigation, so, I'm not sure what's the
*right* way to irrigate her tomatoes (and present it as a surprise
to her, all done and working).

I *think* my options a
a. Garden hose soaker
b. Poly irrigation
c. A sprinkler pop-up head

Did I ever mention to you that you need a "permission slip"?

Get off of her lawn
Old 26-06-2013, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:28:41 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Here are the oaks which will be replanted somewhe

I've never re-planted an oak before, but what I plan on doing is
picking a spot on the hillside where the roots and crown won't
be bothersome - and seeing if they can grow on their own.

Water them in good at planting ( soak well ). Send the kids out now
and then with a bucket of water to soak the oaks (rattlesnakes on the
hill / ravine - remember).

Do not drown them in early stages.
Old 26-06-2013, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:59:16 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Get use to it. Emotion and Logic cross paths.

Fixed a honey do project the other day. A drippin' RO sink faucet.

Had her watch a 2 minute video to show her what it needs. Then tells
me I'm doing it wrong because (the guy has a new facet for a demo).
Said I needed to remove the base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQWZqNu7BY

Took me all of ten minutes. Guess who won that one...

It gets better; well after menopause, maybe! Maybe not

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1594036756

Old 26-06-2013, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:10:22 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

PS: I'm partial to garden hose connections because I can remove
them easily.......

So can the wife :-\
Old 26-06-2013, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:39:07 -0700, Oren wrote:

Easier to fix than a 1/2" pipe with 10 holes in it.

I was wondering about that.

Why doesn't anyone just take a length of 3/4" PVC
and drill a few holes in it?

Seems to me the cheapest and strongest method.

I guess the only downside is you need a drill press
to make it efficient.

Old 26-06-2013, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:50:41 -0700, Oren wrote:

use an 8 port manifold

I had not even thought of that, but it has the advantage that
the drip lines would all radiate from the same point, so the
water flow should be even, right?

Old 26-06-2013, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:08:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

Did I ever mention to you that you need a "permission slip"?

She has threatened to lock the gate to the tomato garden!

Old 26-06-2013, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:44:57 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

i'd suggest using poly, which is very cheap and easily changed.
have you strewn the seeds, or planted in rows?

She "strew" them (strowed them?), so they're all scattered about.

(She doesn't have a whole lotta' patience like I do.)

Old 26-06-2013, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:06:12 -0700, Oren wrote:

The drip lines used need to be covered

I had not realized this.
No wonder they had been buried.
Thanks for that tidbit.

I have others popping out of the ground scattered about
the yard that I was wondering what they do.

I'll snap a picture in the morning for you.

Old 26-06-2013, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:42:24 -0700, Oren wrote:

Maybe you missed it when I posted about removing rust
from cast iron.
http://oi33.tinypic.com/rmnwo5.jpg

Wow. Nice job! I did miss that. I don't know what
"seasoning" is (I'll have to look up the thread); but
wow. It looks great! (And it started off looking horrid.)

I like the way you assembled the photos (with the white border).

Did you use Paint.NET freeware on Windows for the DIY photo?

PS: I'm a Windows/Linux freeware junkie; have been a freeware
addict for decades; so, I pretty much should know most of the
good stuff. The only thing you ever need to buy is MS Office;
and even then, only to be 100% compatible with the proletariat
who use Windows exclusively.

Old 26-06-2013, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:48:30 -0700, wrote:

Your photo showing "oak sprouts" doesn't look anything like
I would have expected to see if it were showing real oak sprouts.
What makes you think the plants are oak sprouts???

Hmmm... they're under an oak tree (which bears acorns).
And, they "look" like the same leaves.
But, that's all I had to go by.

Having seen the majestic deeply lobate oaks of the east coast,
I do understand the leaf does not look like your common
eastern oaks ... but I still "think" it's an oak (due to the
fact that the momma bears acorns - and I don't know any other
tree that does that but an oak).

If it's not an oak, what is it?

Googling ... I see this Coast Live Oak:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_agrifolia

Or, maybe this Blue Oak:
http://www.hastingsreserve.org/oakstory/TreeOaks.html

And, these common-to-California oaks:
http://www.laspilitas.com/groups/oak...rnia_oak1.html

And, even these native California oaks:
http://www.stevenkharper.com/oakofcalifornia.html

Almost none of which have the classic East-Coast lobate leaf shape.

Old 26-06-2013, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 05:05:14 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:39:07 -0700, Oren wrote:

Easier to fix than a 1/2" pipe with 10 holes in it.

I was wondering about that.

Why doesn't anyone just take a length of 3/4" PVC
and drill a few holes in it?

Seems to me the cheapest and strongest method.

I guess the only downside is you need a drill press
to make it efficient.

Ever see the outdoor misters? Same idea but the mister heads clog from
hard water minerals. For a lawn irrigation system, PVC is to rigid for
a drip line system.

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/40000464/images/10112w_600.jpg
Old 26-06-2013, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

http://www.southernplate.com/2009/02/how-to-season-a-cast-iron-skillet.html

I like the way you assembled the photos (with the white border).

Did you use Paint.NET freeware on Windows for the DIY photo?

Yes and also IrfanView.

PS: I'm a Windows/Linux freeware junkie; have been a freeware
addict for decades; so, I pretty much should know most of the
good stuff. The only thing you ever need to buy is MS Office;
and even then, only to be 100% compatible with the proletariat
who use Windows exclusively.

I use Open Office (free) Compatible with MS Office documents and
others.

http://www.openoffice.org/

[IMG] code is On

Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
Hostas - Getting chewed up. Freddie Lawns 11 11-06-2006 03:11 PM
Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Cut Back Earwig-Chewed Butterfly Bush Again? Fleemo Gardening 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM
Chewed Viburnum Jan United Kingdom 31 17-02-2004 11:26 PM