Old 26-06-2013, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Default What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigation setup?

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 15:22:42 -0500, "Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl"
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:08:03 -0500, "Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl"
wrote:

http://www.dripirrigation.com/system...png?1331253321)
to the 1/2 inch tubing. You can get the shut off valve that
attaches directly to the 1/2" tubing, or add fittings of your
choice so that you can Y off in another direction, use T fittings
at that point
and add 1/2" tubing in another direction, and go from there.

Nice. First time I've seen this type of 1/2" poly valve.

(I need to get out more :-)

haaha well .. you can do just about anything you want to do with
these drip irrigation parts.

hey, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it! :-)

I'll retract my prior advice to Danny. Your part is far better and
simpler. Does the same thing so he can shut of the line

Which part did you suggest? I got lost reading all the posts and skipped
through a lot of discussion part...

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 26-06-2013, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

http://www.dripirrigation.com/system...png?1331253321)
to the 1/2 inch tubing. You can get the shut off valve that
attaches directly to the 1/2" tubing, or add fittings of your
choice so that you can Y off in another direction, use T fittings
at that point
and add 1/2" tubing in another direction, and go from there.

Nice. First time I've seen this type of 1/2" poly valve.

(I need to get out more :-)

haaha well .. you can do just about anything you want to do with
these drip irrigation parts.

hey, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it! :-)

I'll retract my prior advice to Danny. Your part is far better and
simpler. Does the same thing so he can shut of the line

Which part did you suggest? I got lost reading all the posts and skipped
through a lot of discussion part...

3/4" ball valve, new elbow, couple small section of pipe, and new
insert. Point was I did not think Danny could pull the "green" portion
out of the insert. The insert in a smaller size and a ball valve may
not be a match.

Your solution makes it a simple task for a shut off.
Old 26-06-2013, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I'm all about making it simple! hahaha!

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:08:03 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

You can get the shut off valve that attaches directly to the 1/2" tubing,

That is an option.

Something, I don't know what, seems to me that I'd prefer the permanence
of the PVC shutoff and *then* the less-permanent stuff, such as a
garden-hose thread which is then attached to the rather flimsy tubing.

But thanks for the idea as I hadn't thought of the shut-off valve,
which is just what I need.

Old 27-06-2013, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:56:30 -0700, Oren wrote:

The insert is already a reduced size so not
likely you will find a ball valve in that size.

I'd cut off the elbow (save as much pipe as possible).

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the warning.

I'll try this procedu

a. I'll try to pull the green part out of the 3/4" PVC pipe
b. If that fails, I'll cut the elbow off
and replumb with a new PVC coupling, elbow, & valve
c. Then I'll add the pipe-to-hose thread so it can be disconnected
when not in use (like when it's my compost heap again!)

Old 27-06-2013, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:14:15 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

btw, that turbing looks like it was damaged by a shovel.

Do not tell my wife that!

She'll kill me.

Old 27-06-2013, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/26/2013 6:04 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:08:03 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

You can get the shut off valve that attaches directly to the 1/2" tubing,

That is an option.

Something, I don't know what, seems to me that I'd prefer the permanence
of the PVC shutoff and *then* the less-permanent stuff, such as a
garden-hose thread which is then attached to the rather flimsy tubing.

But thanks for the idea as I hadn't thought of the shut-off valve,
which is just what I need.

Sounds like a plan! One thing I probably should mention is those glued
pvc sections come apart after being exposed to the weather elements day
after day. You might think it is fine and you have the water pressure
on the pipe, but the valve is shut off and come home from running errand
with the pipes blown apart. We've had to re-glue every section of pvc
pipe that we've ran throughout the yard so we could get a main water
line to the back yard garden and set up the drip irrigation.

Got a call from my neighbor today that one of those sections had come
apart and was producing a geyser in our back yard. He was kind enough
to turn off the water from the source vs me rushing home to turn it off
myself.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On 6/26/2013 6:10 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:14:15 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

btw, that turbing looks like it was damaged by a shovel.

Do not tell my wife that!

She'll kill me.

OK mums the word! :-x

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 23:09:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:56:30 -0700, Oren wrote:

The insert is already a reduced size so not
likely you will find a ball valve in that size.

I'd cut off the elbow (save as much pipe as possible).

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the warning.

I'll try this procedu

a. I'll try to pull the green part out of the 3/4" PVC pipe
b. If that fails, I'll cut the elbow off
and replumb with a new PVC coupling, elbow, & valve
c. Then I'll add the pipe-to-hose thread so it can be disconnected
when not in use (like when it's my compost heap again!)

If you get permission to do it.

I'm still in favor of the 8 port manifold. Mine is at surface level
and has been in there for ~ 8 years. Not a single problem.
Old 27-06-2013, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

http://cheezburger.com/7603840768

Old 27-06-2013, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

Your solution makes it a simple task for a shut off.

I'm all about making it simple! hahaha!

http://cheezburger.com/7603840768

oh THAT's cool! LOL

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 23:09:37 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

a. I'll try to pull the green part out of the 3/4" PVC pipe

You guys were right.

That green stuff is there to stay.

I'll probably cut off the elbow and start fresh, as there's
no sense in restricting the water flow from the start.

Old 27-06-2013, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:29:44 -0700, Oren wrote:

Point was I did not think Danny could pull the "green" portion
out of the insert.

You were totally right; the green thing would not budge.

They should make the garden hose nozzles out of that green stuff!

Old 27-06-2013, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 03:45:52 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:29:44 -0700, Oren wrote:

Point was I did not think Danny could pull the "green" portion
out of the insert.

You were totally right; the green thing would not budge.

.....bucket huckleberries

They should make the garden hose nozzles out of that green stuff!

As I previously stated, I've never seen one of these poly compression
fittings fail in normal use.
Old 27-06-2013, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 18:31:16 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

those glued pvc sections come apart after being exposed to the weather
elements day after day.

Hmmm... they're not supposed to.

On a.h.r, we researched what destroys the PVS, and if you paint them,
the UV light doesn't bother them, and there's not much else that will.

Of course, earthquakes and trucks driving on the lawn would break
them - as do lawn mowers and weed whackers, but they are supposed to
last longer that we will.

Still, it's a good idea to paint them. Here's a shot of my recently
repaired pool equipment, for example, where I haven't painted the
new sections I put on last month to fix the leaks.

[IMG] code is On

Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
Hostas - Getting chewed up. Freddie Lawns 11 11-06-2006 03:11 PM
Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Cut Back Earwig-Chewed Butterfly Bush Again? Fleemo Gardening 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM
Chewed Viburnum Jan United Kingdom 31 17-02-2004 11:26 PM