Old 22-07-2013, 07:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato foliage withering

I put in several different varieties of tomato this year. Got a late start so did not grow from seed; bought plants.

They started out like gangbusters; bore plenty of fruit. But foliage began to look crappy and twisted (no critters; I checked), and plants have now been almost denuded.

They have had food, water, and plenty of sunshine. So why?...

This is So Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Old 22-07-2013, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
They started out like gangbusters; bore plenty of fruit.
But foliage began to look crappy and twisted (no critters;
I checked), and plants have now been almost denuded.

what kind of tomatoes?

They have had food, water, and plenty of sunshine. So why?...

dunno. need a better description than "crappy
and twisted".

picture of leaf and stem would help, but even
then it could be something other than disease.

This is So Calif coastal.

songbird
Old 22-07-2013, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:

I put in several different varieties of tomato this year. Got a late start so did not grow

from seed; bought plants.

They started out like gangbusters; bore plenty of fruit. But foliage began to look

crappy and twisted (no critters; I checked), and plants have now been almost denuded.

They have had food, water, and plenty of sunshine. So why?...

That's a pretty vague description, but with only that to go on,
and keying off of the word "twisted," it suggests either some
sort of virus infection (which could have been brought in by
a hit-and-run pest, or by a person working with the plants who
had previously had contact with tobacco or some other plant
that was carrying a virus) or maybe herbicide damage. You
found no obvious pests, but thrips and spider mites are pretty
tiny and you might need a hand lens to spot them.

Pictures and more info might be helpful. Any yellowing? Did it
go 'top down' or 'bottom up' the plants? Lesions on stems?

Sad to say, but mass produced plants shipped all over the country
have been responsible for spreading some nasty stuff around.
That having been said, even seeds can sometimes carry disease,
and I've thrown out some suspicious tomato seedlings in the past.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vegetable/tomato-problem-solver/
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/DiagnosticKeys/TomWlt/TomWiltKey.html
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 22-07-2013, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I put in several different varieties of tomato this year. Got a late start
so did not grow from seed; bought plants.

They started out like gangbusters; bore plenty of fruit. But foliage began
to look crappy and twisted (no critters; I checked), and plants have now been
almost denuded.

They have had food, water, and plenty of sunshine. So why?...

This is So Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

"So. Calif coastal" may sat it all. How many days have you had in the
80s? Tomatoes thrive on heat.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 22-07-2013, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/22/2013 8:00 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Higgs Boson said:

[...]

I've been worried about this as purchased seedlings were hit while
nearby heirloom plants from my seedlings were untouched. Friend who got
seedlings from the same place is having the same problem.

Old 22-07-2013, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
I put in several different varieties of tomato this year. Got a late start
so did not grow from seed; bought plants.

They started out like gangbusters; bore plenty of fruit. But foliage
began to look crappy and twisted (no critters; I checked), and plants have
now been almost denuded.

They have had food, water, and plenty of sunshine. So why?...

This is So Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Mine look the same this year. I think it has been the weather here, as
Billy said they like heat. Are they not native to Mexico? My niece's and
father's plants here look the same strangly not very lush... Hopefully they
will rebound for the second half of the season.

My cucumber plants have been growing like zucchini though. Got two last
week, and they were over a foot long! And were not seedy inside; they were
still filling out but I thought I better pick them.

Old 23-07-2013, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Gus" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
I put in several different varieties of tomato this year. Got a late start
so did not grow from seed; bought plants.

They started out like gangbusters; bore plenty of fruit. But foliage
began to look crappy and twisted (no critters; I checked), and plants have
now been almost denuded.

They have had food, water, and plenty of sunshine. So why?...

This is So Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Mine look the same this year.

If too hot, you may try giving them some partial shade, and a spritzing
or 2 during the heat of the day. That may come back to bite you as
mildew later, though.

Talk to someone in your area. As Susan N, "The Cook" says, find your
local ag. extention office.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

I think it has been the weather here, as
Billy said they like heat. Are they not native to Mexico?

The wild tomato species are native to western South America from Ecuador
south to northern Chile and the Galapagos Islands.

They like heat but 80F is probably optimum. They will start exhibiting
problems when morning temps are in the 90s, or night time below 45F.

My niece's and
father's plants here look the same strangly not very lush... Hopefully they
will rebound for the second half of the season.

This is agriculture, not science. Do every thing right, and hope for the
best. Too little, too much, wrong time, or der Zorn Gottes, and you're
toast.

My cucumber plants have been growing like zucchini though. Got two last
week, and they were over a foot long! And were not seedy inside; they were
still filling out but I thought I better pick them.

They get bitter, if too large.

Good luck.

Old 23-07-2013, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message

If too hot, you may try giving them some partial shade, and a spritzing
or 2 during the heat of the day. That may come back to bite you as
mildew later, though.

Actually, here there have a been a couple weeks it was not hot. Cool and in
the 70s/60s and lots of rain. The last couple years, the tomato plants grew
great but there was not the cool periods and huge rains so much.

My cucumber plants have been growing like zucchini though. Got two last
week, and they were over a foot long! And were not seedy inside; they
were
still filling out but I thought I better pick them.

They get bitter, if too large.

I was afraid of that, but actually it was okay. And not seedy. Strange. I
had a zucchini plant in same spot that went crazy and grew huge zucchini.

Old 27-07-2013, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, July 22, 2013 4:14:20 AM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

They started out like gangbusters; bore plenty of fruit.

But foliage began to look crappy and twisted (no critters;

I checked), and plants have now been almost denuded.

what kind of tomatoes?

They have had food, water, and plenty of sunshine. So why?...

dunno. need a better description than "crappy

and twisted".

picture of leaf and stem would help, but even

then it could be something other than disease.

This is So Calif coastal.

songbird

OK, finally took pic.

http://tinypic.com/r/2z8szsz/5

I took another that showed a healthy plant right behind this one, but got *****ed up on TinyPic. Can't seem to figure it out g

HTH

HB

HTH

Old 28-07-2013, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

They started out like gangbusters; bore plenty of fruit.

But foliage began to look crappy and twisted (no critters;

I checked), and plants have now been almost denuded.

what kind of tomatoes?

They have had food, water, and plenty of sunshine. So why?...

dunno. need a better description than "crappy

and twisted".

picture of leaf and stem would help, but even

then it could be something other than disease.

This is So Calif coastal.

songbird

OK, finally took pic.

http://tinypic.com/r/2z8szsz/5

I took another that showed a healthy plant right behind this one, but got
*****ed up on TinyPic. Can't seem to figure it out g

HTH

HB

HTH

Fusarium Wilt, this fungal disease most often affects tomatoes. It
enters a plant through natural openings and wounds in the roots and grow
up into the stem, where it blocks the supply of nutrients and water to
the leaves. The first indication of infection is when a part of the
plant starts to wilt on sunny afternoons, though it usually recovers
when the temperature drops (this often starts to happen when plants
begin bearing fruit). Eventually the infection spreads through the whole
plant, lower leaves turn yellow (and may eventually die) and the stem
becomes discolored. Plants don¹t always die, but it slows growth and
reduces yields. Fusarium is rarely a problem for commercial growers
because most modern tomato varieties have been bred to be very
resistant. If you stick with resistant varieties you don¹t have to worry
about it either. Many of the older heirlooms don¹t have any resistance.
If any plants start to show symptoms of partial wilting you should
remove them immediately to reduce the spread of this disease. The spores
can survive in the soil for up to 7 years. It looks as if the tomatoes
may be in a raised box, so if it is Fusarium Wilt, don't reuse the soil
for Solanaceae. Be sure to disinfect tools used in the soil to prevent
spreading the disease.

Old 28-07-2013, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 10:13:45 PM UTC-7, Billy wrote:
In article ,

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

becomes discolored. Plants donıt always die, but it slows growth and

reduces yields. Fusarium is rarely a problem for commercial growers

because most modern tomato varieties have been bred to be very

resistant. If you stick with resistant varieties you donıt have to worry

about it either. Many of the older heirlooms donıt have any resistance.

If any plants start to show symptoms of partial wilting you should

remove them immediately to reduce the spread of this disease. The spores

can survive in the soil for up to 7 years. It looks as if the tomatoes

may be in a raised box, so if it is Fusarium Wilt, don't reuse the soil

for Solanaceae. Be sure to disinfect tools used in the soil to prevent

spreading the disease.

[...]

Mierda! Thanks -- I guess!! g I will dig up and trash tomorrow!!! And warn nursery where purchased.

Hope disease will not attack other tomatoes in same general area but some of them already look iffy. Sheeeeeeet!!!

The two originally infected plants are the "tried & true" tomato varieties sold in this area *forever*. Must have been infected when sold ??

solancea: I don't eat eggplant, but I love Bell Peppers. Just out of curiosity I had purchased (from Home Depot, $10.98) a large container of Red Bells that I set down in the middle of that area. It does not have contact with soil; only aperture for water to exit, but will move out of caution. The label said leave the plants in there; fruit will mature. Gardener agrees. Huge Bells are ripening. If I get 10 fruits, that will pay for the plant, since Bells are very expen$ive, even in summer.

I went on-line for ways to disinfect the soil. Gardens Alive had this:

http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=786

and this:

http://www.gardensalive.com/disease-control/c/15/

Big pain to make raised beds, bring soil from elsewhere in yard and buy commercial soil to modify. But next year, if I'm spared, will have to do it, because this area gets the most sun considering the near beach morning/evening overcast and the ****ed up seasons these last few years (global warming).

HB
Old 28-07-2013, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I had this problem with basil. Tried a second year with same results. I
used the bed for lettuce for the next 3 years, and basil was OK on the
4th year. Seven years is guaranteed to remove Fusarium Wilt, but it can
happen sooner.

I managed to overwhelm my tomato bed this year (2 - 3 yr. rotation), and
potted 3 of the early ripening ones in 5 gal. pots. They are ahead of
the bedded tomatoes, and give me something to nibble on while waiting
for the rest of the crop.

How were the tomatoes from your diseased vines?

This may be helpful. Len used to often post here, but I haven't seen
anything from him for awhile.
http://www.lensgarden.com.au/straw_bale_garden.htm

He is also somewhat evangelical, but separates his gardening, form his
beliefs rather well.