GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Akebia Vine Looks Awful After 35 days Without Rain (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/207961-akebia-vine-looks-awful-after-35-days-without-rain.html)

Radiodays 03-08-2013 06:34 PM

Akebia Vine Looks Awful After 35 days Without Rain

Saturday, 3 August, 2013 10:24 AM

I live in Surrey, British Columbia -- part of the Vancouver metropolitan area. My new akebia vine was looking lush and putting out lots of new growth in cloudy cool weather.

We have had 27 degree weather and full sun for the past 35 days (81 degrees Fahrenheit). The plant is getting lots of water. It gets about 4 and half hours of sun a day and sits against a garden shed.

I'm guessing that it doesn't like full sun. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Radiodays

Jeff Layman[_2_] 03-08-2013 09:36 PM

On 03/08/2013 18:34, Radiodays wrote:
Saturday, 3 August, 2013 10:24 AM

I live in Surrey, British Columbia -- part of the Vancouver metropolitan area. My new akebia vine was looking lush and putting out lots of new growth in cloudy cool weather.

We have had 27 degree weather and full sun for the past 35 days (81 degrees Fahrenheit). The plant is getting lots of water. It gets about 4 and half hours of sun a day and sits against a garden shed.

I'm guessing that it doesn't like full sun. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Radiodays

Probably. It's a climber that likes to scramble through trees, so
"partial shade" would suit it best. Can you plant something in front of
it which will give it some shade and through which it can climb?

--

Jeff