Old 23-01-2003, 07:23 AM
Pietje Bell

Default melon seed

hi,
search for long time seed of "Cucumis melo Reticulatis" melon seed.
For my Greenhouse.
Can any body help me, in Europe if possible?

Grts,
PB

Old 23-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Dwayne

I have no idea what you are looking for, but you might try asking Seed
Savers Exchange at www.seedsavers.org, or Seeds of Change at
www.seedsofchange.com.

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 24-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:54:19 -0700, "Dwayne" wrote:

I have no idea what you are looking for, but you might try asking Seed
Savers Exchange at www.seedsavers.org, or Seeds of Change at
www.seedsofchange.com.

"Pietje Bell" wrote in message

search for long time seed of "Cucumis melo Reticulatis" melon seed.
For my Greenhouse.
Can any body help me, in Europe if possible?

Cucumis melo var. reticulatus is commonly known as 'cantaloupe'. I'm
sure seeds are available from many European sources.
Old 24-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Pietje Bell

Cantaloupe and "Netmeloen" (the Dutch name) "cucumis melo reticulatis" are
two different melons for sure!!
Canteloupe are available on almost every seedshop in my country Holland.
Anyway thank you very much for answering my question.

Grts,
PB-Netherlands

Old 24-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:18:53 +0100, "Pietje Bell"
wrote:

Cantaloupe and "Netmeloen" (the Dutch name) "cucumis melo reticulatis" are
two different melons for sure!!
Canteloupe are available on almost every seedshop in my country Holland.
Anyway thank you very much for answering my question.

Could 'reticulatis' and 'reticulatus' be completely different
varieties? When I Googled on your spelling, I got the 'did you mean
...us' answer, which usually means the original spelling is wrong. The
several references I found for Cucumis melo Reticulatus clearly said
'muskmelon or canteloupe.'

Old 25-01-2003, 06:36 PM

wrote:

Cantaloupe and "Netmeloen" (the Dutch name) "cucumis melo reticulatis" are
two different melons for sure!!
Canteloupe are available on almost every seedshop in my country Holland.
Anyway thank you very much for answering my question.

Grts,

PB-Netherlands

I think this may be a difference in nomenclature between the US and
Europe. The Joy of Cooking describes 4 types of dessert melons (all
the melons that are not watermelon). There's the smooth or winter
group, which has the late-ripening melons. The netted melons include
_American cantaloupe_, muskmelon, etc. "In Europe, and botanically
speaking, _true cantaloupes_ have another shape. They have a smooth
hard rind, and may be lightly fluted. " The French Charentais melon
is in that group. And then there are the tropical melons, such as
Galia, Ha-Ogen, Passport, etc.

There's your trivia for the day.

Rebecca

[IMG] code is On

Corn & Melon Seed WJW Lawns 0 16-04-2005 12:46 AM
Question: Melon Protection George Tirebiter Texas 2 08-06-2003 12:56 AM
blue flowering perennial melon tree Victoria Clare United Kingdom 5 15-05-2003 12:32 PM
Plant Melon Seeds in Mounds? Fleemo Gardening 5 10-05-2003 07:44 PM
Bitter Melon Lady Pasmaw Edible Gardening 3 25-02-2003 02:03 PM